What's new

RT-N66U Issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kalhua

New Around Here
After numerous issues with a combination of an RT-AC66U and asus extender I recently purchased I returned both of them and purchased (2) RT-N66U's. I have them all setup with similar settings other than different channels and Modes (One is setup as only an AP). They seem to work much better than the combo I returned and are both running the latest Merlin firmware. I went to bed last night feeling satisfied as I now have a good signal throughout my house. When I woke up this morning I did another check to see where the signals and channels were at and noticed that the one setup as a router being listed at a max rate of 72 down from the previous days 216. I went into the GUI and all looked fine. The channel for 2.4 is 1 on this one and inssider link score is at 100. I went into the wireless settings on the router under 2.4 and hit apply after adjusting nothing. I went back to inssider and noticed it had returned to the 216. Unfortunately it returns to 72 like clockwork and hitting apply fixes it every time. I have rebooted the router a couple of times but the cycle continues. The other N66U I purchased is operating on channel 6 and has never shown the behaviour of the other even though its signal is much lower from the PC I am using inssider on (Link Score in the 60's). Do I have a bad router? I am going to try to swap the channels they are using to see if something odd is going on with channel 1. Any suggestions you can provide are appreciated.

That's most likely power saving. Unless you're actually transferring something, the link speeds usually do drop considerably. You could do a 2 way transfer and watch the link speeds to see if there is actually something wrong or if it's just idling down to a lower speed to save power.

my router was doing exactly the same and i put merlins 270.26b firmware onto it and that seems to have fixed it

If there is interference from another router that will make it drop. Are you set to 40 MHz channel width only? Do you have G devices on your network?

Can you post your wireless settings for both router and AP?

Router

Frequency: 2.4
SSID: 12345
Hide SSID: No
Wireless Mode: Auto Optimized for Xbox b/g Protection (No Checks)
Channel bandwidth: 20/40
Control Channel: 1
Extension Channel: Auto
Authentication Method: WPA2

Access Point

Frequency: 2.4
SSID: 12345
Hide SSID: No
Wireless Mode: Auto Optimized for Xbox b/g Protection (No Checks)
Channel bandwidth: 20/40
Control Channel: 6
Extension Channel: Auto
Authentication Method: WPA2

I have messed around with the TX power but didnt see much difference in my testing. I believe it is back at 80 right now on both.

Thanks

I guess you could try a different firmware. What firmware did your router come with? Have you reset to factory defaults and reconfigured it from scratch? Have you removed your old wireless profiles from your computer? Have you tried a different computer?

Try setting them both on "20 MHz"

How far apart are the router and AP? If both are close enough from the clients, it could be the reason the connection speeds are degrading. Remember RT-n66u wireless covers a lot of distance.