What's new

RT-N66U passing on

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

noluck4

Occasional Visitor
Well, after 4 or 5 years of service. My trusty steed, the RT-N66U is dying. It started with odd internet drops. Though that still goes on, but it is now dragging on the WiFi, and yet the LAN connection runs perfect. I can actually blame the net drops on my ISP. But it shows a 100mbps wifi connection- but I can't even check my email. And she's warm to the touch. So I am now in the market. I loved being able to use my tiny MicroSD card. I love USB storage. I might see if I can re-thermal paste it since my skill level is up there.

So what are the best options out there? I'd love another of something that can get 4 or 5 years of service. The ability to use custom firmware was a nice feature, but I never used it. It was NICE to have peace without complaints, or router issues. It's sad to see it go, but 4 or 5 years of continuous use- that's pretty good.

Well, after 4 or 5 years of service. My trusty steed, the RT-N66U is dying. It started with odd internet drops. Though that still goes on, but it is now dragging on the WiFi, and yet the LAN connection runs perfect. I can actually blame the net drops on my ISP. But it shows a 100mbps wifi connection- but I can't even check my email. And she's warm to the touch. So I am now in the market. I loved being able to use my tiny MicroSD card. I love USB storage. I might see if I can re-thermal paste it since my skill level is up there.

So what are the best options out there? I'd love another of something that can get 4 or 5 years of service. The ability to use custom firmware was a nice feature, but I never used it. It was NICE to have peace without complaints, or router issues. It's sad to see it go, but 4 or 5 years of continuous use- that's pretty good.
They still sell that model

Unless you need/want 802.11ac, why not troubleshoot and buy a new one if the radio really is broken?

The RT-AC56U for $100 or less is an easy upgrade to the RT-N66U.

Not worth buying a 'new' RT-N66U today. Many better models to choose from for not to much more.

Re-thermal pasting would most likely be a time waster (it can take something like 120C). But it is your time.

If you wanted something to last for the next half decade? The RT-AC3100 or above is what I would be looking for today.

All of the above assumes you're using the RMerlin firmware or the forks thereof. With stock firmware? All bets are off. :)

Let me express my condolences to your big loss! I lost my AC68U recently, after only 3 years of service. RIP. :rolleyes:

Well, I always would go again for an Asus device, as the hardware is good and the firmware great (thanks to this forum and the great contribution of Merlin, John and others)!

Actually the decision is simple: It's up to you how much you want to spend for a new router! Grab one in your price range and be happy again! ;)
I would suggest to go for an AC-one as the current and future devices will profit from the higher WLAN speeds.

My trusty steed, the RT-N66U is dying. It started with odd internet drops. Though that still goes on, but it is now dragging on the WiFi, and yet the LAN connection runs perfect

First suspect - a failing AC Adapter - replace it, minimal cost before spending more on a new router...

I sadly already tried a new AC adapter. No dice. I've been keeping an eye on it. It looks like part of it is my ISP dropping, but its not THAT bad. The wifi just lags and lags bad. I think in looking at a replacement I also want raw horsepower if that makes sense. We do a lot of Netflix, Hulu, ect. A few PS3's and a couple steam links. The PS3's and steam links are wired.

I replaced it with a Linksys WRT1900ACS a week ago. I waited until tax return time. It worked good until tonight. It turns out it installed a new to it firmware. Went from version 1.0.0.168229 to 1.0.0.169041. And it went nuts. I am seeing DDWRT in this things future. After rolling it back, it's been stable 1 full hour.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!