What's new

rt-n66u settings for plex server (pms)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mark the Red

Occasional Visitor
i cannot access my plex server from outside my local network.

currently on 378.51 firmware and everything works great otherwise.

i have a FreeNAS server running plex as my server connected to the rt-n66u. all my server settings are set to the plex server settings from the plex faq / troubleshooting guide. (port forwarded is green)

it was my understanding that the rt_n66u supports upnp / nat loopback by default and i looked everywhere in the firmware settings for anything to the contrary.

anybody here have a similar network setup? anything i am overlooking?

appreciate the help.

What firmware version were you last on that it was working?

Did you do a reset to defaults when you installed 378.50 or 378.51?

I was on 46 I believe. To be honest I do not remember. I usually update around once a month. I always reset to factory defaults after flashing.

I gather from your post that the default settings should be fine? Or that the router is not the problem here?

No, just ascertaining that after loading the new firmware, a reset was performed.

Try changing the settings in Firewall, General, NAT Loopback to disabled, Asus or RMerlin modes.

With a reboot between each change before you test.

I have manually assigned a port in my PMS settings (32400) and in the N66U I went to WAN -> Virtual Server/Port Forwarding to point that port to the internal IP address of my PMS.
That was all I needed to make it work as far as I can remember.

(I'm using 374.42 Merlin firmware)

upload_2015-3-12_20-43-24.png

Does this look right? My plex server is mapped to and it will NOT let me manually configure it to 32400.

upload_2015-3-12_20-45-59.png

However, when I go to myplex webpage the address is:

upload_2015-3-12_20-47-24.png

I'm dumber than a bag of hammers with ports and just want this to work outside my local network.

I did. It says "Disconnect the server failed" when I click the manual port forwarding.....

Do my settings look right with a port mapped to 26403? Does that need to be entered into the local port of my router port forward table?

I did. It says "Disconnect the server failed" when I click the manual port forwarding.....

Do my settings look right with a port mapped to 26403? Does that need to be entered into the local port of my router port forward table?

That port looks like a upnp assigned port....if you are not using a VPN provider (that's a whole other story) I'd try deleting the manual port forward(s) entirely, reboot the router (just for safety) and restart your Plex server. Plex should manage everything automatically.

However, when I go to myplex webpage the address is:

View attachment 3466

I'm dumber than a bag of hammers with ports and just want this to work outside my local network.

32400 is a hard coded port number that Plex uses, so you have to use that port when connected internally. The external port is used for Plex's servers to find your computer when you want to connect to it from outside your house.

In the router you can assign any port number (match Plex port you manually assign) you want for the "Port Range" but assign the local port to 32400.

My router settings:
ELwB3eD.png

My Plex settings:
uC9b7Dk.png

I use the same computer to connect to a VPN. Plex does like work behind a VPN since VPN's normally don't allow ports coming in. To work around that, their is a script available that will force Plex to use your true IP address.

I used these instructions to get the script (or copy paste) for Plex to work with a computer that is behind a VPN.

Last edited: