What's new

USB Hub for Asus RT-AX88U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SysXpl

New Around Here
Hi! First post here, so far (last several years) I have been just reading guides and information on this place. Which has been great, when needed.

I got an Asus RT-AX88U Pro with up-to date Merlin. I got a new printer that I want to avoid replacing. It's an Canon TS5151, without ethernet and it seems like it does not either have support for WPA3 that I use. I have an active (dedicated headless Linux) PLEX server, I appreciate to use the backup feature, if my main connection goes down. So, I and other users still have access to PLEX from outside network. At the same time, I want to make the printer accessable for users within the network (not using guest network) without installing drivers. If I have a visitor, and they have a phone I just want them to be able to print whatever they like without bothering using my computer or installing drivers. I have done any extensive research yet, so don't be too hard on me if missed out something. If it's impossible, or But my spontanius idea, was to use an USB-hub, so I can use the USB-port for both wi-fi dongle and printer server.

I found this thread that points to that I can break the router with a USB-hub: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...-hub-to-connect-multiple-external-hdds.73398/

The question is if it's because of an actual USB-hub or it's because in such circumstance, it puts too much pressure on the router? A printserver and backup wi-fi use far less bandwidth than some substitute NAS-solution.

And if I get it working, if it it could really work, I might want to take it a step further with improved security. I have been considering something like "Canon encrypted secure print", but then I have to choose between convinience and security. I have no past experience with printservers, I don't know what is possible to do with Asus printserver or not.

Could I possibly connect USB to the linux server and configure something there? I have also been looking into Wireless adapters with USB input but those seems to use outdated tech, not compatible with WPA3.

my feeling from reading all the discussions over the years is that the USB port on the router was a marketing feature rather than a robust implementation for customer use. Recognize, using it for printing will steal some CPU as well.
i would go the linux route rather than the router. An old windows box with printer sharing could be a better alternative as you are likely to get the full feature set for the printer in the win driver.

Is there a ethernet upgrade kit for that printer from Canon ?
i don't know what the linux driver will do for that printer. Some are simple line printer implementations.
Either way, you are probably looking for a IPP implementation to a static lan address.

It might be cheaper in the long run to replace it with a printer with a lan port and built in server.

seems like it does not either have support for WPA3 that I use

And all your other wireless clients support WPA3? You must be a rich person with all new clients. 🧐

And all your other wireless clients support WPA3? You must be a rich person with all new clients. 🧐
You are kidding me, right. You know the price is of the Asus RT-AX88U Pro? You think I could be able to get the router but not be able to upgrade to WPA3 clients?? And what is rich for you? For people in less privilaged neighbourhoods, very young people or people in the third world, new clients might be for "rich" people. WPA3 clients are not exactly comparable to kryptonite, pink diamonds, yachts and supersport cars. But funny joke, I wish I was there. One day maybe, one day. We will see.

my feeling from reading all the discussions over the years is that the USB port on the router was a marketing feature rather than a robust implementation for customer use. Recognize, using it for printing will steal some CPU as well.
i would go the linux route rather than the router. An old windows box with printer sharing could be a better alternative as you are likely to get the full feature set for the printer in the win driver.

Is there a ethernet upgrade kit for that printer from Canon ?
i don't know what the linux driver will do for that printer. Some are simple line printer implementations.
Either way, you are probably looking for a IPP implementation to a static lan address.

It might be cheaper in the long run to replace it with a printer with a lan port and built in server.
Good points, and really helpful. Thanks. I am not aware of any upgrade kit. I just a quick search on Google. I don't think so, no. It's a kinda cheap printer. I want to keep it mainly because of estetics, and if I don't need to spend money on it, I feel it's better to not to. I have a huge number of needs and priorities.

A good thing is that I recently configured the headless PLEX server to use static IP-adress. I now also see this in the network map, inside the routers adminpanel. It's labeled "static". I am also thinking that there could be some more powerful open source printserver software for Linux, that has more options than what's available for Asus. But I have not digged into that yet.

Just use WPA2/3 mixed - your WPA3 clients will use that, and you'll have backwards compat with legacy WPA2 devices...

In mixed mode - just note that PMF is optional...

I think you can use a usb hub however it may cause power draw concerns for the router so maybe if you find a usb hub look for one with its own external power so it’s not drawing it’s power from the router.

Hi! First post here, so far (last several years) I have been just reading guides and information on this place. Which has been great, when needed.

I got an Asus RT-AX88U Pro with up-to date Merlin. I got a new printer that I want to avoid replacing. It's an Canon TS5151, without ethernet and it seems like it does not either have support for WPA3 that I use.
<snip the wall of text for readability>
There is much to unpack with what you posted. Yes you can connect a USB hub to the RT-AX88U Pro. You may have to use a powered USB hub however if you plan on connecting multiple devices (like hard drives) to that USB hub.

Generally for any device to be able to print to a network printer it requires drivers of some sort/type to allow the device to find, recognize and access the network printer. Using a network print server (either within the router or on another network device) doesn't change the fact that one will have to do some configuration on the client network device for that device to see and access the printer. Most printer manufacturers have mobile apps one can quickly download and install for that mobile device to access and print to that manufacture's printer. With most modern WiFi connected printers one would print directly to the printer not through a print server hosted by either the router or another network device.

As already indicated by others, if the router's WiFi is configured specifically for WPA3 and the printer doesn't support WPA3 then you can change the WiFi authentication on the router to "WPA2/WPA3-Personal".
wifiauthentication.jpg

If the WiFi printer continues to have issues using "WPA2/WPA3-Personal", then one may have to setup a 2.4Ghz Guest Network and configure it for "WPA2-Personal" and configure that Guest Network for Access Intranet so network clients can print to it.

Specific questions about that printer's capabilities or add-on modules like Ethernet for the printer are best addressed by the printer manufacturer. Such questions are beyond the purview of this subforum and router configuration.

Perhaps you should step back and reassess what you are trying to accomplish and why you feel the need to use the USB print server function of the router with that multi function WiFi capable Cannon printer. If one really wants to use a USB print server and they find the print server within the router to be too limited then one can look into using a print server on another device. For example one could install/use CUPS on Linux as their print server. It may offer more options and configurability than the Asus firmware included print server.

Post edited after re-reading what the OP posted.

Last edited:
You are kidding me, right.

No. The router is actually cheap. Running WPA3 only means every phone, tablet, laptop, computer, camera, alarm system, IoT, etc. connecting to it must be at least AX capable client on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. If this it true - you are an exception. Most people have mixed N/AC/AX clients on their networks and can't run WPA3 only.

My Canon TS6020 ran just fine when I had the router set to WPA2/WPA3-Personal. I did have a couple of older clients that did not like those settings so I put them on a Guest WIFI with just WPA2-Personal. However, as I seem to be going back and forth between Asus and Merlin firmware I've decided that WPA2-Personal is OK for my environment. I also don't mess with the default WIFI settings...too much. Sometimes I'll drop the 2.4 GHz to 20 MHz but I leave it on Auto channel and to heck with the neighbors.

I think you can use a usb hub however it may cause power draw concerns for the router so maybe if you find a usb hub look for one with its own external power so it’s not drawing it’s power from the router.
Hmm, this is also very good information to know about. I had some issues with my ISP for some time in the past. I ended up connecting my Xiaomi Pad5 and share Android Wi-Fi. I had it on about 24/7 for several weeks without any issues YET. Maybe it is a good idea to enable USB debugging in the dev settings. I think it stops charging then while USB Teething? I need to replace it with a real dongle later but not right now... I need to travel and invest in the kitchen, so it has to wait for weeks/months.

No. The router is actually cheap. Running WPA3 only means every phone, tablet, laptop, computer, camera, alarm system, IoT, etc. connecting to it must be at least AX capable client on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. If this it true - you are an exception. Most people have mixed N/AC/AX clients on their networks and can't run WPA3 only.
I somewhat agree and disagree. I have to give you, it is a good argument thought. I don't have a family, I live alone but waiting for my gf to sell her villa in Odessa (Ukraine) and move to me in Sweden. None of us has children, she is too old (her children are adult and will live in different countries) and I choose to not have. I don't have all of these gadgets yet. But I am investing from "scratch" since 4-5 years ago, I was completely broke when I moved from my ex. I won't say I am even close to "rich" but I am just persistant, have relativly small expenses, headroom for somewhat crazy prorioties and a lot of time. I am striving to get "rich" and had somewhat progress over the years. And I do work towards a serious smart home, CCTV with AI, PLEX streaming, robot vaccum, Hi-Fi in 3 rooms to multiple users and so on. At the moment it's a complete overkill, but over time this router can maybe get more reasoable. Devices will also drop down in price and I am crazy when hunting for discounts. My ex tell me that I am like a "crazy discount granny". Haha... I don't have any problem to buy used laptop on marketplaces like Ebay or such.

There is much to unpack with what you posted. Yes you can connect a USB hub to the RT-AX88U Pro. You may have to use a powered USB hub however if you plan on connecting multiple devices (like hard drives) to that USB hub.

Generally for any device to be able to print to a network printer it requires drivers of some sort/type to allow the device to find, recognize and access the network printer. Using a network print server (either within the router or on another network device) doesn't change the fact that one will have to do some configuration on the client network device for that device to see and access the printer. Most printer manufacturers have mobile apps one can quickly download and install for that mobile device to access and print to that manufacture's printer. With most modern WiFi connected printers one would print directly to the printer not through a print server hosted by either the router or another network device.

As already indicated by others, if the router's WiFi is configured specifically for WPA3 and the printer doesn't support WPA3 then you can change the WiFi authentication on the router to "WPA2/WPA3-Personal".
View attachment 56590

If the WiFi printer continues to have issues using "WPA2/WPA3-Personal", then one may have to setup a 2.4Ghz Guest Network and configure it for "WPA2-Personal" and configure that Guest Network for Access Intranet so network clients can print to it.

Specific questions about that printer's capabilities or add-on modules like Ethernet for the printer are best addressed by the printer manufacturer. Such questions are beyond the purview of this subforum and router configuration.

Perhaps you should step back and reassess what you are trying to accomplish and why you feel the need to use the USB print server function of the router with that multi function WiFi capable Cannon printer. If one really wants to use a USB print server and they find the print server within the router to be too limited then one can look into using a print server on another device. For example one could install/use CUPS on Linux as their print server. It may offer more options and configurability than the Asus firmware included print server.

Post edited after re-reading what the OP posted.
Thanks! Another great input. You people kicks butt. Really appreciate friendly forums where people actually knows what they are doing. Very nice place, nice people. For some reason, I did forgot about that. I don't remember why I didn't activated this before. Maybe I was sleepless, and just missed it out. Left the settings and didn't look back. I just had the router for about 6 months. For some reason it fails to connect. I have been contacting a customer service and ask about the printer. According to them, the supported protocoles are "WEP, WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK". So, it shouldn't be any problem at all. AND, it doesn't give an error while trying to connect to a guest network just like you mentioned. In the beggining while configuring the router I had a slight memory WPA2 settings only did workout after reseting to factory settings. Can this be a bug?

I think I have to release the idea about print server at the moment. I need to get it up and running normally first, then we will see. Lets gets the basics done first, this should not be too hard. I think I will go now, and configure it on the guest network. And see how it worksout.

I have to give you, it is a good argument thought.

The first IoT device you get with N only support will force you to use WPA2/WPA3 mixed settings. Otherwise your choice of client devices will be very limited. What you want now is good, but the market is not there yet. WPA3 only may happen perhaps is 10 years. This is the reality for both of us and the others.

The first IoT device you get with N only support will force you to use WPA2/WPA3 mixed settings. Otherwise your choice of client devices will be very limited. What you want now is good, but the market is not there yet. WPA3 only may happen perhaps is 10 years. This is the reality for both of us and the others.

I don't know. I think I have to use WPA3 for now and guest network, with "intranet" ticked. Then I found out that the PIXMA TS8750 has support for WPA3. I could probably replace each gadget within time. In between I can solve it like this. Sooner or later I will have all these gadgets with WPA3 support. I think more like 5-7 years than 10 years. But we will see, it might be all about income, priorities and avaibility I suppose.

But we will see, it might be all about income, priorities and avaibility I suppose.

Your girlfriend will be perhaps more interested in NFC wireless technology. This is what credit cards use. 🤭

In the beggining while configuring the router I had a slight memory WPA2 settings only did workout after reseting to factory settings. Can this be a bug?
Likely not a bug, rather an issue with your router's WiFi settings. Some WiFi client devices can be picky about the settings. Sometimes a router reset can fix weird issues with the router or reset things if one forgot the changes they made to the settings.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!