What's new

RT-N66U: Wireless Network Mode of 2.4 G and 5G can not BOTH set to N only ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WilliamY

Regular Contributor
Hi, All

I'm using RT-N66U with Tomato Shibby build, Having the problem that my Nexus 5 and new Mac Pro Labtop can NOT connect to my 5G wireless, but both working fine with 2.4G, and just found that somehow BOTH Wireless Network Mode set to N only, Just wondering whether thats the cause or not?

Thanks,

William

As far as I can find both the Nexus 5 and Mac Pro Labtop seems to support 802.11n and both are dual band (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz).
It may be that with your Tomato Shibby configuration the router uses a channel that is officially beyond the legal range for your area.
Try to set a lower channel manual e.g. 36, 40, 44 or 48 which are allowed in almost all areas and see if that helps.
Otherwise I suggest to set the Wireless Mode back to Auto, which should not hurt performance.
To be more precise:

2.4 GHz:
  • Wireless Mode: Auto
  • b/g Protection: unchecked
  • Channel bandwidth: 20 MHz (better against neighbor disturbance)
  • Authentication Method: WPA2-Personal

5 GHz:
  • Channel bandwidth: 20/40 MHz

As far as I can find both the Nexus 5 and Mac Pro Labtop seems to support 802.11n and both are dual band (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz).
It may be that with your Tomato Shibby configuration the router uses a channel that is officially beyond the legal range for your area.
Try to set a lower channel manual e.g. 36, 40, 44 or 48 which are allowed in almost all areas and see if that helps.
Otherwise I suggest to set the Wireless Mode back to Auto, which should not hurt performance.
To be more precise:

2.4 GHz:
  • b/g Protection: unchecked
  • Channel bandwidth: 20 MHz (better against neighbor disturbance)

5 GHz:
  • Channel bandwidth: 20/40 MHz

The 5G channel was set to lower, 149, and 40mhz. my Samsung Note 2, iPad and iPod 5th Gen connected to 5G without any issue. But the Nexus 5 and the MacBook Pro just can't connect to it at all. Puzzled me. Changed the channel to 36, 20mhz, still won't work.

Last edited:
The 5G channel was set to lower, 149, and 40mhz. my Samsung Note 2, iPad and iPod 5th Gen connected to 5G without any issue. But the Nexus 5 and the MacBook Pro just can't connect to it at all. Puzzled me. Changed the channel to 36, 20mhz, still won't work.
Check the SSID on 5 GHz, give it a try with a SSID that ONLY contains alphanumeric characters (Aa to Zz and 0 to 9), NO spaces, NO odd characters like @#$%!&.
Do the Nexus 5 and the MacBook Pro "see" your 5 GHz signal, or not at all?

Check the SSID on 5 GHz, give it a try with a SSID that ONLY contains alphanumeric characters (Aa to Zz and 0 to 9), NO spaces, NO odd characters like @#$%!&.
Do the Nexus 5 and the MacBook Pro "see" your 5 GHz signal, or not at all?

my SSID doesn't include any weird characters, only letters and numbers, Nexus 5 and MacBook Pro both see my 5G SSID, but just can't connect.

Whats odd thing for MacBook Pro was: It said its connected, but no internet connection, because the IP address and subnet mask it got were totally wrong, like 168.24.xxx.xxx, 255.255.0.0, the correct one should be 192.168.1.xx, and 255.255.255.0, I don't know whats wrong.