What's new

RT-N66U - wireless on Android & iOS very unstable

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

striders

Occasional Visitor
First, my setup - the RT-N66U is running 3.0.0.4.374_979 with the following setup for the 5Ghz radio:

Encryption : WPA2/AES
Wireless Mode : N Only
Channel Bandwidth : 20/40 Mhz
Set AP Isolated : No
Minimum RSSI : Disabled
Enable IGMP Snooping : Disable
Multicast Rate(Mbps): Auto
Preamble Type : Auto
RTS Threshold : 2347
DTIM Interval : 3
Beacon Interval : 100
Enable TX Bursting : Enable
Enable WMM APSD : Disable
Tx power adjustment : 200 mW

The problem is that ALL of my mobile devices (Android and iOS) have unstable wireless network connection. The devices will be connected just fine, full bar and I can browse the Internet.

Out of the blue, no connection, although the device is still connected to the wireless network. Browsing will fail, no packets are transmitted. The solution is to turn off the Wifi or reboot the mobile device. These happen to ALL mobile devices I have: Nexus 7 2013, Galaxy S4, Galaxy S4 Active, Sony Xperia and iPhone 5.

I am not sure what happened here, but the mobile devices work just fine at my office (Cisco AP).

Is there anything else I can do to fix this or is this a known issue?

is that the latest firmware?Asus recently changed the wireless driver to fix issues over the 5ghz band.
However I never had problems with earlier firmwares.
Try also to not use wpa2. 5ghz band is not reachable through walls and outside, so I actually don't use encryption for 5ghz ssid, but I use wireless filters on my 2.4ghz ssid. Make a few tests

is that the latest firmware?Asus recently changed the wireless driver to fix issues over the 5ghz band.
Try also to not use wpa2. 5ghz band is not reachable through walls and outside, so I actually don't use encryption for 5ghz ssid, but I use wireless filters on my 2.4ghz ssid. Make a few tests

I don't agree, I see one other 5GHz. wireless network here, even though it is low, so it is going through at least two exterior walls *smile*. I would strongly advise continusing to use WPA2/AES on 5GHz. band. Unless you're in the middle of nowhere, and where people can't drive by your house.

What I would suggest, though, is to use RMerlin's firmware, the SDK5 variety that's in the "Experimental" folder in his download location. I don't think that Asus has fixed their wireless drivers yet to work well with the RT-N66U, so you'll most likely do much better using RMerlin's SDK5 firmware instead of Asus.

try deleting all other previously discovered SSIDs from your SSID list on the client. (keep ones that are far away if you wish).
Theory: Clients switch to a different SSID near you that is open/unencrypted, or some such.

This is a long shot.

I have updated to the latest one, at least according to ASUS website here. Changing to WEP or WPA/TKIP have no effects. L(

try deleting all other previously discovered SSIDs from your SSID list on the client. (keep ones that are far away if you wish).
Theory: Clients switch to a different SSID near you that is open/unencrypted, or some such.
I have reseted all my device from scratch (Android is rooted but use no custom firmware) and no effects. The only SSID I have is the the 2.4Ghz radio on the same ASUS router.

What I would suggest, though, is to use RMerlin's firmware, the SDK5 variety that's in the "Experimental" folder in his download location. I don't think that Asus has fixed their wireless drivers yet to work well with the RT-N66U, so you'll most likely do much better using RMerlin's SDK5 firmware instead of Asus.
This is interesting, I never tried RMerlin's SDK.

But before I jump and start modifying the firmware, do you (or anyone) see the same issues with mobile devices?

First, my setup - the RT-N66U is running 3.0.0.4.374_979 with the following setup for the 5Ghz radio:

Encryption : WPA2/AES
Wireless Mode : N Only
Channel Bandwidth : 20/40 Mhz
Set AP Isolated : No
Minimum RSSI : Disabled
Enable IGMP Snooping : Disable
Multicast Rate(Mbps): Auto
Preamble Type : Auto
RTS Threshold : 2347
DTIM Interval : 3
Beacon Interval : 100
Enable TX Bursting : Enable
Enable WMM APSD : Disable
Tx power adjustment : 200 mW

A few settings are non-optimal here for stability. Reduce output power to 80 mW and re-enable WMM APSD.

You should definitely use the SDK5 firmware version. Personally that's what I use and I have rock solid stability with 35-2 SDK5.

A few settings are non-optimal here for stability. Reduce output power to 80 mW and re-enable WMM APSD.

Changed. I am monitoring the connection and if things still falls through, will install SDK5 and report back.

I don't agree, I see one other 5GHz. wireless network here, even though it is low, so it is going through at least two exterior walls *smile*. I would strongly advise continusing to use WPA2/AES on 5GHz. band. Unless you're in the middle of nowhere, and where people can't drive by your house.

I dont agree either my house is 70ft long and i can connect and use 5Ghz through sevral walls no problem the signal is lower than 2.4Ghz but very usable.

In addition I suggest to set the Wireless Mode to Auto (not fixed to N Only).

Please correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't this slow down the 5Ghz signal?

I read somewhere that it is best to keep the N radio for N signals only if there are no B or G devices connecting to it. Hence, I set the 2.4Ghz for B/G/N and 5Ghz for N only. All of my N-capable devices are connected only to the 5Ghz.

802.11a applies to 5 GHz only, and specifies a data throughput up to 54 Mbps.

802.11b applies to 2.4 GHz only, and specifies a data throughput up to 11 Mbps (this is a real old standard, there isn't much equipment left for serious use).

802.11g applies to 2.4 GHz only, and specifies a data throughput up to 54 Mbps (there is real lot of this equipment around).

802.11n applies to both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz and specifies the use of multiple antennas/radios and up to four spatial streams at a channel width of 40 MHz, hence increasing the data throughput (there is a large variety of 802.11n equipment, for single or dual frequency and for one up to four spatial streams. In addition: network adapters that can handle both frequencies at the same time are very rare. Look carefully at the specifications to see what you will get).

802.11ac applies to 5 GHz only and specifies the use of multiple antennas/radios, up to eight spatial streams at a channel width of up to 160 MHz and further enhanced modulation, hence increasing the data throughput (equipment for this standard is in full development, I dont think there is equipment yet that utilizes the full specification, current 802.11ac equipment does not reach the full specification).

Leaving the Wireless Mode at Auto at least allows older equipment to connect, if you only have 802.11a/g/n equipment it will not hurt, nor decrease the throughput.

Setting the 2.4 GHz bandwith fixed to 20 MHz is advised in crowded areas to limit the neighbor disturbance (in both ways).

Due to the relative limited signal range at 5 GHz, the use of full 802.11ac equipment is expected to be no problem for possible neighbor disturbance.

[EDIT]
Splitting data over the two frequencies 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz is good practise.
The throughput at 2.4 GHz is naturally limited by the standards and the increased disturbance. The wireless coverage is better then 5 GHz. 2.4 GHz is good for all generic Internet traffic.
The use of 5 GHz is advised when high throughput is required (streaming data), the range is limited though (practically one physical room usually).
Good to notice too is that advertised router "maximum throughput" numbers are usually the sum of the technical-hardware maximum of both frequencies...which is very theorethical.

Last edited: