What's new

Safe to upgrade from 378.53 to latest?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ethician

Occasional Visitor
Hey Merlin, guys,

For both ARM and MIPS, is it safe to upgrade from 378.53 to the latest without the need to clear the NVRAM?

If no, is there any workaround?
If yes, are there any other potential minor issues to look out for?

Thanks for your time!

Last edited:
Depends on how many features you use and have enabled and how many devices (including USB) you have attached.

You can use john9527's NVRAM save/restore utility to save some time re-configuring the router, but I would use it more for a text based output of your settings instead and recommend you do a full reset to factory defaults after you have flashed the latest firmware you want installed.

For both ARM and MIPS, is it safe to upgrade from 378.53 to the latest without the need to clear the NVRAM?
No, I definitely would go for a factory reset! The jump is to big in Asus terms - may updates which can effect hidden settings. :eek:

I always use the NVRAM Save/Restore Utility to save and restore my settings, but also to allow Asus to do their job in the background (hidden settings)! ;)

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Since we are on the topic. Is the GUI factory reset the exact same as the hold reset button for 5 seconds ?

Since we are on the topic. Is the GUI factory reset the exact same as the hold reset button for 5 seconds ?
On Asus routers a reset (GUI), is a reset (WPS/Reset button), is a reset ("nvram erase" command) - and there was no 30-30-30 reset on Asus and there is no 30-30-30 reset on Asus routers!

See full details on this topic in Merlin's sticky post: NVRAM/factory default reset info: http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=22822

Why people are not reading sticky posts? An everlasting miracle to me... :eek:

Last edited: