What's new

SATA port multipliers used in RAID systems?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Armornone

Occasional Visitor
Hi.

I read that SATA port multipliers will allow you to have several SATA connections from a single SATA port.

Do you know if these sata port multipliers can be used in a RAID5 system?

Do you know if you are able to take a device such as a Readynas, Buffalo, Qnap,etc... and give it more drives by using these SATA port multipliers?

I have a system with 4 drives and I am trying to figure out if there is anyway to make it accept 8 drives instead.

Its much cheaper to buy a 4 drive system than an 8 drive system. Many times it cost 5 times more to double the drive capacity of a system.

Thanks

SATA port multipliers are often used internally in NASes. In fact, they are used in Synology's DSXXX+ NASes in the DX510 expansion unit.

But the system firmware must be configured to recognize the extra drives.

SATA port multipliers are often used internally in NASes. In fact, they are used in Synology's DSXXX+ NASes in the DX510 expansion unit.

But the system firmware must be configured to recognize the extra drives.

Would the system be more likely to recognize a PCI card SATA controller installed on the motherboard than SATA port multipliers?

I have a really old readynas that is basically a relic and I open up the case and found a single PCI slot on the motherboard. I am thinking of maybe getting a SATA controller and seeing if I can make this machine into something that can take an extra 4 or 8 drives.

I don't know of anyway to know if it would work other than try it.

I don't know of anyway to know if it would work other than try it.

exactly.

I've been following your threads here and on the readynas forums.

I think you will find, you will get what you pay for.

trying to add drives to an ancient 600, which is already not that fast, will only make it slower and less dependable (putting your data at even higher risk), if it works at all.

Not to mention the TIME you spend on experimenting/learning/tinkering, how much is that worth to you?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!