What's new

setting MTU on Linksys WRT610N

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nalooti

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
The questions relates to the WRT610N a wireles router, thus I ask it here.

It's possible to set the MTU size in the router setup configuration. However, all around the web there are people and tools that set the MTU size in the TCP/IP stack of Windows (or other OSes).

My questions:
1/ Should I set the MTU on router, on Windows or in both ?

2/ If I set the MTU in the router then if the MTU in Windows is higher, the router would fragment packets so they have no more than the MTU size set in the router. So what is the point to set it in the router ? (seems setting in the Windows would be enough because no packets originated from the host would be bigger, thus the router has nothing to do in this regard)

thanks
nalooti

MTU adjust is for the WAN port. It is sometimes needed for PPPoE connections. Leave it alone unless your ISP needs you to adjust it.

MTU adjust is for the WAN port. It is sometimes needed for PPPoE connections. Leave it alone unless your ISP needs you to adjust it.

Actually I am on PPPoE and having 1500 Bytes default on my ISP connection gives me troubles i.e. I can't see some sites...

However you're right it is just for the Wan side since 1500 Bytes size is fine for LAN (maybe unless for jumbo frames ?) and doing it on the PC would also impact inner connections inside my LAN, something I'd not like to do.

So if the router establishes the PPPoE connection to my ISP (which is the case), the router is the right place to set the MTU size.

A side question: what do you think about TCP optimizer (I'm on W7 x64 professional) and its various tweaking options ? is it worth trying ?