What's new

Setting up VPN in mixed MTU environment

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wfarid

Occasional Visitor
Hi I am trying to properly set up a VPN in a mixed environment. Here are the details. In my basement, I have a main router a D-link Dir-655 that is connected to my modem, main workstation computer, Qnap Ts-209 Pro (NAS), and my laptop. Then I have an ethernet cable running from the 655 to my other router the D-link DGL-4500, which is located upstairs. The 4500 simply extends the network to my living room (forgot what the technical term is called) and I have my HTPC, Xbox 360, and Jadoo TV (little internet tv streaming box) connected to that. The dgl-4500 also broadcasts a wireless g/n signal.

I recently enabled jumbo frames, 4k on my main rig, laptop, htpc, and nas to great improvement of transfer speeds between my NAS and computers. However it did make my wireless really wonky and also my speeds get hit when the non 4k jumbo clients are active (mainly the JadooTV).

Is the best solution to setup a VPN, where my wireless, Jaddoo TV, and Xbox 360 or in their own network and everything else on a 4k MTU network? Do I need a switch that can handle VPNs or can the DIR-655/DGL-4500 handle it?

Would a Netgear GS105E be useful in this situation. The proposed setup is here

Last edited:
I don't think either VPN or VLANs will help in your situation. VLANs just control how broadcasts are handled. Jumbo frames control the size of packets.

What do mean "wonky", what sort of speed reduction are you getting and how are you measuring speed?

What happens when you connect the Jadoo TV via Ethernet to the DIR-655 switch?

Is the Xbox360 working properly?

Is the DGL4500 configured as an access point (DHCP server off, connected to DIR-655 via a LAN port)?

So the Dgl-4500 does have DHCP turned off and I have the cable running from 655 to the 4500 in a Lan port (not the internet port).

I was reading in the jumbo frame article here that you could separate gig jumbo frame clients from normal clients either using separate routers or by using VLAN.

Sorry by wonky I mean, with my current setup if the Jadoo Tv is on my transfer speeds from my NAS to computer (which usually in the 30 mb/s range with 4k MTU) gets reduced to 9mb/s.

I have not tried to connect the JadooTv to the 655 directly.

My wireless connection has been cutting out, and it seems to come and go. I never had this issue with my wireless pre jumbo frame. I have the latest firmware on all my routers. It seems to stay connected for 10-15 minutes, then disappear and then reappear after a couple of minutes.

The 360 is working fine.

Thanks for the response.

I stand corrected on the VLAN / jumbo frame issue, sorry.

I'd try the Jadoo TV directly connected to the DIR-655 switch. I'll bet you'll see the same problem (reduced speed) when the NAS is sending files to the Gigabit desktop and 100 Mbps Jadoo TV simultaneously. [When Flow Control is not a Good Thing]

Flow control should be unrelated to jumbo frames, so I don't know why you started seeing the problem after you enabled jumbo frames. Perhaps you can run an experiment with the Jadoo TV connected to the DIR-655 switch . Do a file copy between your desktop and NAS while playing a file from the NAS on the Jadoo at the same time, both with and without jumbo frames enabled.

hmm I think you are right about the flow control issue. I'll try it out, regardless I probably need to get a 'smart' or managed switch. Any suggestions? And could I use the smart switch in the way I proposed in this setup (the netgear gs105e is a smart switch) i? Any suggestions on cheap smart switches?

thanks again for all your help!

Last edited:
wow thanks so much. The 108t looks great. What are you feelings towards the equivalent Cisco router?

thanks Tim, you were a great help! Now I gotta save up. This is an out of the blue question, If I'm thinking about becoming cisco certified would it be better to get the cisco router than? Or will that router be to basic to practice the functions I would use in order to get cert'd?

thanks Tim, you were a great help! Now I gotta save up. This is an out of the blue question, If I'm thinking about becoming cisco certified would it be better to get the cisco router than? Or will that router be to basic to practice the functions I would use in order to get cert'd?
I don't know anything about Cisco certification requirements. But I'd guess that they require you working with more complicated gear than their inexpensive switches.