What's new

setting up wi-fi over 5 story apartment bldg

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

v8u1er

New Around Here
Hi guys,
I'm kinda new to networking and I want to
setup a wireless network over our apartment
bulding. the purpose of this network is to
provide internet connectivity to households.
there are 12 flats in this apartment (there will
be 12 users) and it has 5 stories. the internet
service cost is calculated per KB of transfer.
so there should be a system to count
transfered data of each user. and also it would
be appropriate to have a system to limit
bandwidth of each user.

can anybody help me please with hardware
and software needed?

Hi guys,
I'm kinda new to networking and I want to
setup a wireless network over our apartment
bulding. the purpose of this network is to
provide internet connectivity to households.
there are 12 flats in this apartment (there will
be 12 users) and it has 5 stories. the internet
service cost is calculated per KB of transfer.
so there should be a system to count
transfered data of each user. and also it would
be appropriate to have a system to limit
bandwidth of each user.

can anybody help me please with hardware
and software needed?

When you said Flat but you mixed the sentence with apartments. Are you in the USA or UK? In any case in USA your might want to look into Draytek 2920n (also UK) or dab into Cisco Aironet 1300 Series Outdoor Access Point/Bridge. What's your sq footage of this apartment building.

Here is image to show you what the Cisco Aironet would setup as for 10,000 sq ft

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/col...ges/product_data_sheet09186a00802252e1-03.jpg

You need some power booster to use. This site has more info
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/col...s5861/product_data_sheet09186a00802252e1.html

Most places have a pro come in to give them free estimate how much it going to cost and how long would it take to install such equipment. You'll also need to know who's going to maintain such a system should it go down on you like you have a major disaster. All this should be propose to you in the estimate fee of free estimate. Location of the main where the router, switches and etc would be located in.

Here is the white papers on Wireless Site Survey Best Practices
https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/s...2-1-10505/WirelessSiteSurveyBestPractices.pdf

200,000 sq ft Example of Warehouse

Wireless Recommendation for 200,000 sq ft Warehouse
Wireless Networking, 802.11 Wireless Access Points, Wireless Local Area Network
Tags: wireless, cisco, access points
- 400' x 540' Warehouse with ~35' ceiling.
- Wireless survey indicated that 12 APs required.

Vendor recommeneded:
12 x CISCO AIRONET 1242AG WIRELESS AP (AIR-AP1242AG-A-K9)
1 x CISCO CONSOLE CABLE (AIR-CONCAB1200=)
12 x CISCO AIRONET POWER INJECTOR (AIR-PWRINJ3=)
24 x CISCO AIRONET ANTENNA KIT (AIR-ANT2506)

have you seen this?

http://www.open-mesh.com/store/

I think it will allow you to see usage and remotely manage. Anyone have much experience? I've seen it used at a couple businesses and a housing development, but have never set up a large system with it.

Sean

I am looking into a similar solution as well. initially i looked at Meraki as they seem to have features like bandwidth control and user access flexibility. With this product there is no hardware controller to buy as all the control and AP updates are don't through Meraki's servers. It's not cheap though. Each access point needs to be purchased - along with the hosted controller access licence. you could check out Ruckus wireless too. You buy the controller with the access points which has a nice GUI interface for the features you want. you can even see all the activity from each user and add limited time guest access, etc.

You may try DrayTek Vigor 2920n+VigorAP 800. The SSID grouping on Vigor 2920n and the WDS modes on AP 800 would help you to set up 5 different WLAN groups. There are also some security designs you may implement, the authentication, WPA/WPA2...etc..
Also, VigorAP 800's PoE switch may help you to get rid of the LAN cable tangling

Are you able to spool wire through all 5 floors? Ideally a setup of this sizeshould use multiple APs (especially at 5Ghz) with ethernet cabling connecting them to a centralized point, like at least a switch.