What's new

Several issues with Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Beanz

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys,
I got an RT-N56U yesterday and even though in the most its doing its job nicely i'm having a couple of problems.
My 2 Samsung Galaxy S2 phones and a Win 7 laptop can't connect to it, the phones see the 2.4ghz network but when i put the password in and connect it just says Saved, secured with WPA2 and the laptop says there's network issues.
I've tried connecting with no security and they still won't. I've changed channels, frequencies and any option i can find that may make a difference but still no joy.

My second problem is that although i have the 5ghz light lit blue on the router and set to radio on, and SSID not hidden in settings non of my 5ghz products even see it :(, again i've tried changing lots and lots of settings but made no difference.

My router was on 3.0.0.4.318 and have updated to 321 as read on here that is was very stable but it made no difference. I have a couple of dongles that run on wireless g and are communicating fine and my daughters android tablet connected first time.

Any ideas that may help ?

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply, just updated the firmware resetting the router first and rebooting after but even with no encryption on the wireless my phone still doesn't connect :(
Think i may have bought a dodgy unit.

Beanz,

Your "b/g protection" is enable ? If you are running b and g wireless, I sugest you to set it "auto".

Beanz,

Just to complement, I mean if you are running b, g and n wireless, I suggest you to set "b/g protection" in "auto".

Wireless mode on 2.4ghz is set to auto and i have b/g protection ticked, are you saying to untick it ?? Thanks.
**EDIT**
Tried disabling 5ghz then unticked the b/g protection but made no difference...getting fed up of google searches about this now ;)

Last edited:
Beanz,

There are 3 options in "b/g protection": "always on", "always off" and "auto". Tick the third option "auto".

I'm at work now, but mines just got a tick box so either on or off and I've tried both :)
I think I've tried the majority of combinations of settings being on/off, different channels, frequencies, length of passcode but still get same results :-( not good.

Thanks for the advise.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Anybody know if a Custom firmware could possibly help with my connection issues ? If so which one are people using ??
I'm kinda resingned to the fact that the problem i have with my 5ghz not even broadcasting is a hardware fault but really need my phones connected to wifi.

Thanks.

Anybody able to tell me whether i can install custom firmware then if needed revert back to original firmware ?? and if so how easy each process is ?? Thanks.

You can go back an forth easily.

Personally, I would write down ALL your preferred settings (SSID, auth method, channels, etc.). Reset the settings to default, then change firmware (Official to Custom or vise-verse). Then re-enter you settings.

It's cumbersome and a bit time consuming, but saving the configs for one firmware and importing or carrying them over to another type of firmware doesn't always work. Hence writhing them down. Actually after a couple times, I don't even have to write them down, as I have them memorized ;)

One thing to remember if you are going to use Pavadan's Custom firmware, set the "Region Code" properly for both the 2.4, and 5 GHz. If you don't, you will really end up pulling your hair out with intermittent wireless issues. Trust ME.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Guz.
For region code is that the Time Zone ? On my current setup if i change between my 2.4ghz settings and 5ghz settings they're both on GMT so will look for that?
Or is there an actual option for 'Region Code' somewhere in all the tabs (or is it just something on the custom firmwares settings?) :) ?

Last edited:
I'm totally confused by my whole issue now, last night about 10 past eleven i was using my phone when up popped 'connected to network Asus'. I tried different online apps and used Speedtest to double check i was infact connected to wifi and all worked great.
Got up this mornin to no wifi again and my original issue !! ??
Gonna wait til 11pm today and see if it mysteriously connects again. Odd thing is that even if it was to do with timer settings all my other wifi devices work 24/7, odd.

Thanks a lot Guz.
For region code is that the Time Zone ? On my current setup if i change between my 2.4ghz settings and 5ghz settings they're both on GMT so will look for that?
Or is there an actual option for 'Region Code' somewhere in all the tabs (or is it just something on the custom firmwares settings?) :) ?
The "Region Code" on Pavadan's is which channels in the spectrum is used. On Pavadan's it's at the bottom of the page on the the 2.4 and 5 GHZ "General" tab/page.

For 2.4 GHz it's USA, Europe, Debug.
For 5 GHz there's a choice of USA, Europe, Taiwan, China, Japan, Debug.

The problem is, if you are in the USA and the router is set for Europe channels you might have issues with flaky connectivity.

Fail !

Tried Padavans .042 firmware and get exactly the same results - 2 mobiles won't connect to 2.ghz connection and although 5ghz radio is on and apparently transmitting i don't pick it up with any compatible devices.
Oh well, looks like a broken router.

Does anybody know a support phone number that deals with these routers ?
I've tried the one off the website 08448008340 and the one the website support sent out 0870 1208 340 and both are the same and don't mention wireless routers. If i choose components leading to networking i just get referred back to the website.

Thanks.

Does anybody know a support phone number that deals with these routers ?
I've tried the one off the website 08448008340 and the one the website support sent out 0870 1208 340 and both are the same and don't mention wireless routers. If i choose components leading to networking i just get referred back to the website.

Thanks.

Asus wireless support is a complete JOKE! I actually overheard two guys cussing back and forth the last time that I was on the phone with them. It was very unprofessional. All I got were open ended questions/answers when talking to them.