What's new

Should asus "network map" show vpn clients?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jksmurf

Hi,

Just setting up an RT-AX86U with VPN for my brother, I’ve got successful OVPN and WG connections, can access the WebGUI but one thing I’m uncertain about is if I should be able to “see” the client device in the Network Map or not?

Maybe it’s my low level understanding of VPN but if you’ve “tunnelled” into your network shouldn’t all the connecting devices appear on the Network Map as if you were there at home?

If yes I’ll need to amend some settings in WG eg I have 0.0.0.0/0 which is standard, plus I added 192.168.1.0/24 because without that the WebGui was inaccessible.

For OpenVPN I left everything stock.

Thanks!

k.

[my apologies, this seems to have gone into the incorrect forum, can Admins please move to Merlin]

Last edited:
Atleast it's a good idea. I agree that you should be able to see connected vpn clients under that network map, with or without filter for it. Like tabs for All, WiFi, cable, vpn, all but vpn etc.

I ping @RMerlin for feature request. Doable or not.

I'm willing to be proven wrong (and curious) about this, but I think it comes down to the protocol layers of the OSI model. I'd suspect that the Network Map is generated from Layer 2 (data link) info, while VPNs normally work at Layer 3 (Network).

I'm willing to be proven wrong (and curious) about this, but I think it comes down to the protocol layers of the OSI model. I'd suspect that the Network Map is generated from Layer 2 (data link) info, while VPNs normally work at Layer 3 (Network).
You raise a good point here. I am not sure if this would make it less likely to be able to identify clients (or more likely) seeing as it can be used to identify guest network clients as well. Either way, I am as skeptical as you are about the possibility.

Observation. With YazFi directing the guest network those devices can't be seen on the network map. Disable the VPN and they all appear, along with their own subnet IPs. As a VPN is a tunnel I wouldn't expect the devices to appear anyway. So things appear to be working as they should.

I haven’t the foggiest what Crimliar just said but if Ripshod concurs and is correct then I’d be very pleased as then I don’t have to adjust anything to make them appear.

Ta

k.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!