What's new

Slow speed using NordVPN on AC68 with latest Merlin Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vandergraff

Regular Contributor
Just signed up for a 3 day trial with NordVPN and followed the set up suggestions here https://nordvpn.com/tutorials/asustwrt-merlin/openvpn/

I am running 380.65.4 firmware

Doesn't matter what Server I try I am getting around 4 - 5 Mbps download on my 200 Mbps connection.

Just spent some time chatting online with NordVPN support - after suggesting various servers which made little difference they then suggested running NordVPN app on my PC rather than using the router.

I am assuming others are getting much higher VPN throughput on an AC68? Are there any setting on the router that might slow down VPN.

Would much rather have NordVPN running on the router and therefore all connected devices.?

I am in San Francisco Bay area.

Last edited:
OK - an update.

Found a server where I can get around 30 - 40 Mbps with OpenVPN on the router vs 130 Mbps running NordVPN app on the PC.

is 30 - 40 Mbps the max throughput on the AC68 running OpenVPN or are there things I should turn off on the AC68 that might help speed?

I did some testing a while back that may help you with some reference numbers on throughput. These are my speeds using the OpenVPN Client on two different ASUS routers. Both routers running Asuswrt-Merlin 380.64 firmware. Using the VPN client to connect through PIA VPN servers.

AC3100 (1.4 Ghz dual core)
CTF (Cut Through Forwarding NAT Acceleration)
DL: 61 Mbps with core 1 at 25%, core 2 at 75% (*74 Mbps core 1 at 30%, core 2 at 85% with mods)
UL: 84 Mbps with core 1 at 35%, core 2 at 100%

AC68U (1.0 Ghz dual core)
CTF enabled
DL: 44 Mbps with core 1 at 30%, core 2 at 80%
UL: 58 Mbps with core 1 at 40%, core 2 at 100%

For reference, when using the same PIA VPN server with a windows client I'm able to attain 250 Mbps down and 350 Mbps up on the same DSLReports HTML5 speed test.

The speed tests were conducted over a wired connection from the computer to the router.

Data encryption: AES-128
Data authentication: SHA1
Handshake: RSA-2048

*Adding the following lines to the custom configuration bumped the DL speeds to 74 Mbps.
sndbuf 524288
rcvbuf 524288
push "sndbuf 524288"
push "rcvbuf 524288"

I just signed up with NordVPN and I am getting slow VPN access. I also live in the SF Bay Area. Which NordVPN server did you get the fastest access from?

TIA

I did some testing a while back that may help you with some reference numbers on throughput. These are my speeds using the OpenVPN Client on two different ASUS routers. Both routers running Asuswrt-Merlin 380.64 firmware. Using the VPN client to connect through PIA VPN servers.

AC3100 (1.4 Ghz dual core)
CTF (Cut Through Forwarding NAT Acceleration)
DL: 61 Mbps with core 1 at 25%, core 2 at 75% (*74 Mbps core 1 at 30%, core 2 at 85% with mods)
UL: 84 Mbps with core 1 at 35%, core 2 at 100%

CTF enabled

For reference, when using the same PIA VPN server with a windows client I'm able to attain 250 Mbps down and 350 Mbps up on the same DSLReports HTML5 speed test.

The speed tests were conducted over a wired connection from the computer to the router.

Data encryption: AES-128
Data authentication: SHA1
Handshake: RSA-2048

*Adding the following lines to the custom configuration bumped the DL speeds to 74 Mbps.
sndbuf 524288
rcvbuf 524288
push "sndbuf 524288"
push "rcvbuf 524288"

Thanks that is very useful. I am also using dslreports speed test.

Well I guess I won't be running OpenVPN from my Asus router with that kind of impact.

Really don't want to have to set each device to use VPN (many couldn't / won't) but may be the best option until I get / build a faster router.

Today I am only using the AC68 as a router - I have an Orbi system in AP mode handling WiFi (works great)

I just signed up with NordVPN and I am getting slow VPN access. I also live in the SF Bay Area. Which NordVPN server did you get the fastest access from?

TIA

404 - but experience wasn't great.

Even using the PC App and getting ~ 130 mbps on dslreports speed test - the online experience was very laggy with many web pages to long times to respond and load....

May try some other VPNs to see if better.

Of course that without getting into the whole VPN / Netflix blacklisting issue - if the VPNs work reliably it seems Netflix will still be trying to block access to content we (in our home country) are paying for. Recommend https://act.openmedia.org/netflix

User warned for personal attack
CTF enabled
I will second these numbers as I get them to on a AC87 (1GHz). Tested transferring from my home FiOS (150/150) to my work Comcast corp (100/100).

I will add the dual core is moot. OvenVPN I have heard does not make use of it. Also read because of the nature of the encryption everything needs to be done in in series so it can't split the workload between two cores. Though I could be completely wrong.

I am sorry about the Netflix issue but nothing infuriates me more when they sling their hate at the wrong people. Don't demand Netflix stand up to them go after the movie and TV companions. Also till something changes just deal with it. Don't act like an entitled child.

Last edited:
404 - but experience wasn't great.

Even using the PC App and getting ~ 130 mbps on dslreports speed test - the online experience was very laggy with many web pages to long times to respond and load....

May try some other VPNs to see if better.

Of course that without getting into the whole VPN / Netflix blacklisting issue - if the VPNs work reliably it seems Netflix will still be trying to block access to content we (in our home country) are paying for. Recommend https://act.openmedia.org/netflix

hello
I too just signed up with Nord. V poor openvpn speeds, I live in Adelaide, Aus. Tried a whole heap of servers with similar crap results. I have 110mbs connection, only getting <20mbs. I've tried loads of the 33 (standard) Aus servers, but also find it really annoying they dont share the physical location of the server so I can at least try get one close. Aus being so massive, the location matters. There must be a reason why they dont share it??

You using one of the .ovpn config files for your settings? I know they all use AES-256-CBC, SHA512 auth, LZO compression etc. any tips of tweaking these? Suppose kicking back to 128bit would prob speed it up, but at a security cost?

You using one of the .ovpn config files for your settings? I know they all use AES-256-CBC, SHA512 auth, LZO compression etc. any tips of tweaking these? Suppose kicking back to 128bit would prob speed it up, but at a security cost?

AES-128-CBC is more than sufficient for home users. You'd have to be a very specific target to a state-powered effort to crack through that level of encryption.

I will chime in with my observation on this particular service. I have used and tested many different VPN providers. Through my personal experience with testing NordVPN, I would not recommend this provider due to speed issues they have. Now, your mileage may vary, but they seem to over sell their service and they are more concerned with the quantity of their servers versus the quality of them. I would recommend trying some other service providers and seeing how they perform for you personally. Also look up actual user reviews and be wary of many of the review web sites which are often affiliated with these service providers. Also, as Merlin stated, not only should AES-128 be sufficient for most users, it does help speed things up over AES-256. Everyone's experience may be different, so it is best to see how it works for you.

Any other new suggestion?
NordVPN is having an interesting sale for 3 years. (I'm not affiliated)