What's new

Slow speeds with Verizon 4G LTE USB modem compared to with Cradlepoint router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Twohothardware

Occasional Visitor
Slower speeds when using Verizon Pantech UML290 4G USB modem in RT-AC66U

Anyone else using a 4G LTE USB modem in the RT-AC66U? What kind of speeds are you getting? I've been testing my Verizon Wireless Pantech UML290 in it and compared to using the UML290 in the Cradlepoint MBR1400 router that I have and I'm seeing consistently slower speeds in the ASUS, particularly for the upload.

I've run numerous speed tests at different times of the day at Speedtest.net and tried every available firmware for the RT-AC66U including the latest beta 3.0.0.4.372.0 and while my download speed is fairly decent at around 18-20 Mbps, my upload speed never gets above 3-4 Mbps. With the UML290 in the MBR1400 I consistently see 20-25 Mbps download and 12-15 Mbps upload. The UML290 is connected to an outdoor antenna so signal strength should be the same in both routers.

I've also noticed that my download and upload speeds both decrease more when I have the firewall enabled dropping my upload speed to around 2 Mbps.

Here are my 3G/4G settings in the RT-AC66U:

ISP: Verizon
APN service: vzwinternet
Dial Number: *99***3#
Pin code: <blank>
Username: <blank>
Password: <blank>
USB Adapter: Auto

I'm guessing the RT-AC66U just needs a better modem driver for the Pantech UML290? I opened a ticket with ASUS last week and have sent engineering my network test report hoping that they'll look into it and work on improving their performance with Verizon's 4G modems.

Last edited:
Not sure if you still have this Router and USB modem, but using these settings with the latest firmware, I am able to use this USB 4G LTE modem. I don't have speed issues with it either, I get great LTE speeds via speedtest.net

20Mbps down and about 4 to 5 up.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!