What's new

Small Charity VPN Setup, Cant connect to NAS or even VPN on some computers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

funkytwig

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I'me at my wits end. Offered to set up a VPN for a charity so they can work from home and it is turning into a real nightmare. all I am trying to do is allow 3 laptops occasional remote access to a NAS and allow me to 'dial in' to do some basic support. I'me fairly technical (build PCs, built linux kernels etc.) but this one has me beat;(.

So, first the setup
  • Asus DSL-N55U router
  • D-Link ShareCenter DNS-320L NAS
  • 3 Windows 10 laptops
  • 2 Windows 7 laptops
I have been using the wireless network of another company in the building (the clarity has there own ISP) to test the setup. I also have a studio on the other side of town whit internet and am also testing with this. I am using the Windows 10 built in VPN client (set to PPTP) and windows 7 built in VPN client.

The first problem I am getting is even connecting to the VPN. I have set up the client exactly the same on two users on one of the win10 computers, one can connect (consistently), one can not conect (consistently). I also can not generally access the NAS. I have a network drive mapped on the computers and when I can get on the VPN I get the rather confusing error 'Microsoft windows Network: the local drive name is already in use'. If I try to go the the NAS directly by using \\NAS01 it simply cant find the NAS. I have a windows 7 computer in my studio and can both connect to the VPN and access the NAS (through \\NAS01). However on one of the windows 10 users on one of the windows 10 computers at the charaty I can reliebly conect othe the VPN and the NAS.

Also using the other companies wireless network I can connect to the computers at the charity via Remote Desktop fine but cant connect with TightVNC (which is what I would prefer to use). I can also access the web interface of both the Router and the NAS so I am defiantly connected to the VPN.

All and any advice massively appreciated.

Ben

Is the office LAN and the home LAN on the same subnet (i.e. both using 192.168.1.xxx)? If yes, then you will have a network conflict between the two.

Also note that the PPTP in Windows 10 is broken. MS has fixed it in the current Insider build, so next week's TH2 release might help. Otherwise, you will be unable to configure the PPTP client to use the PPTP endpoint as the default gateway, which would be a way to work around the network conflict.

Is the office LAN and the home LAN on the same subnet (i.e. both using 192.168.1.xxx)? If yes, then you will have a network conflict between the two.

Also note that the PPTP in Windows 10 is broken. MS has fixed it in the current Insider build, so next week's TH2 release might help. Otherwise, you will be unable to configure the PPTP client to use the PPTP endpoint as the default gateway, which would be a way to work around the network conflict.

Forgot to mention. I put the office network on 192.168.42.* so this does not happen. The wireless I was using for testing was in the 10.* range.

Regarding Win10 PPTP. I think the Asus DSL-N55U router can only use PPTP so was thinking of using an alternative PPTP client for windows 10. What would people recommend?