What's new

Speed Drop

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zalophus

Occasional Visitor
RT-AC56U; Merlin 378.56; Comcast Cable; Arris TM 722g Modem.

Recently updated Firmware to 378.56, rebooted. Noticed drop in speed to all wired devices.

Checked with Speed Test, and Download to all wired devices is now 10Mbps. Download to Wireless devices has stayed at the 80+ Mbps. which is the speed I had been getting on both wired and wireless.

Tested with direct connection from Modem to Main PC, and Download speed went to 85Mbps. Reconnected to Router, unplugged router for 1o minutes, and wired speeds still at 10Mbps, and wireless at 80+Mbps.

Looking for trouble shooting suggestions.

FYI-Haven't tried hard reset yet. Never done one before. Is the method below still the preferred one:
Hard reset method
1. when the unit is powered on, hold down the reset button for 30 seconds
2. while still holding down the reset button, unplug the router from power and hold for an additional 30 seconds
3. still holding down the reset button, turn on power to the router again and hold for 30 more seconds

or should I use the Web interface "Factory Default Restore"?
Thanks

Last edited:
Have you checked the negotiated speed on your client (Windows?)?
Is it connected at 1 GBit/s or perhaps 100MBit/s?
Sometimes auto negotiation fails, setting 1 GBit Full Duplex on the network interface may work, or at least be worth testing.

Thanks for suggestions, but I solved the problem, by simply turning off QoS. Once I did that my wireless connections stayed at 80+Gbps and my wired connections jumped back to 80+ Mbps. Not sure why, as I thought I had all my QoS settings done correctly, and never had problems with wired speeds before...but I'm not complaining. Meanwhile I'll bookmark your other suggestions for future reference, just in case.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!