What's new

Speed from Arris SB8200 on Xfinity 1G to RT-AX86U ??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

phillyaj

Occasional Visitor
Ok...SO I'm going crazy. o_O Here's my setup..

Xfinity 1G Down service, connected to a new Arris SB-8200 (DOCSIS 3.1) modem, connected to a NEW RT-AX86U.

Comcast/Xfinity tech comes out, runs a test on their test device directly on the wire gets 1.3G down and 70M up. Then he connects to my modem ethernet port and get 997M down and 42M up. Then, using the exact same ethernet cable, I connect to the RT-AX86u and I can only squeak out 500-600 Down and 40M up??? Does anybody have any suggestions?

I did upgrade the firmware to the RC2 Beta, mostly for the speedtest and AIMesh 2.0, ...but even before that on my Older RT-AC68U I wasn't getting 900 M.

According to Comcast, My service is fine. They say I should be seeing 900 down. At this point, I would be happy with 700
Screenshot 2020-12-13 111618.jpg

Last edited:
Is that with stock settings or are you turning on features that would disable Runner (Hardware Flow Accelerator) or Flow Cache (Cut Through Forwarding)?

Is that with stock settings or are you turning on features that would disable Runner (Hardware Flow Accelerator) or Flow Cache (Cut Through Forwarding)?

Mostly Stock settings. Looking at the WAN config... NAT is enabled, UPnP is enabled, WAN aggregation is disabled, Connect to DNS server automatically is YES, DHCP frequency is set to Aggressive Mode. Enable TTL value is NO, and Spoof LAN TTL value is NO.

No Dual WAN, Port Trigger is OFF, Port Forwarding is OFF, DMZ is Off, DDNS Client is ON, NAT Passthrough is all Enabled, with the expectation of PPPoE Relay is Disabled.

What else should I be looking for?

Do you have QoS or AiProtection enabled?

The built in speedtest might not be reliable.

What does the Comcast test show: https://speedtest.xfinity.com/
[/QUOTE

So I think I got it. QoS was set to ‘traditional’ With Manual Bandwidth settings. I changed it to “adaptive” and ‘automatic” for Bandwidth. I also shut off DDNS. Now I’m consistently getting 800-900+ Consistently from the router.

I’m still having issues with my work laptop (HP Elitebook ). But that could be the crap that work loads onto it. I only get 250max wired and WiFi. I get 300-400 on my iPhone 11 Pro Max on wireless.

Thanks for the help.

Don't really need QoS turned on at all with a gig connection.

I have 600/15 and do not use QoS at all.

Screenshot 2020-12-13 162324.jpg

Don't really need QoS turned on at all with a gig connection.

I have 600/15 and do not use QoS at all.

View attachment 28456

Thanks. I'll give it a try. I'm still trying to figure out why my HP EliteBook 830, which is hardwired to one of the LAN ports only can get 200-250Mb/s. I even have a second adapter hooked up via USB-C and it's still slow.

When you're testing with the laptop, is it plugged into AC power? Is it in Performance mode? Does using a different wire change things? What does the connection speed show on the router's GUI?

Is it fully updated with the latest OS patches and drivers for all devices?

Is it running any AV software? Does turning it off (even temporarily) bring the speed up)? What speed does it get when plugged straight into the ONT?

I'm on a 1Gbps up/down symmetrical FTTH ISP and FlexQoS was an improvement. Not for faster speeds, of course. But for a noticeably faster online experience. (Along with the other scripts in my signature below).

Thanks, @KevTech, some people call everything a 'modem'. I just assumed at those speeds they were FTTH. :)

Comcast has gig service by coax with cable modem and gig pro fiber.
I don't think OP has a fiber connection since they are using a modem so you may be confusing them.

True...coax coming in. Consumer 1G service from Comcast.

QOS is now off...and to be honest, Don't see much of a difference either way. Also turned on AiProtection as well on the RT-AX86U. Seems to be running stable and no degradation.

As for my laptop. Unfortunately , it's a work laptop, that they lock down pretty good, so can't disable AV :( Was working the NIC adapter settings to see if I could tweak it a bit.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!