What's new

Stumped on Guest network with Mac

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Scooterit

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I am struggling with a MB Air running OSX 10.10.4 that want connect to a guest network.
It works fine on all other WiFi Networks except this particular guest WiFi network in a hospital. Others can use this network without a problem.

The unit connects to the network but doesn't get an iP address. Sometimes it does but then there is no Router IP and therewith no DNS. I have tried to override it by manually configuring the network settings to no avail.

I have cleaned out all the old network settings and the keychain. Created a new Network location.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Is the guest network using a captive portal? After you get an IP address, have you tried opening a web browser?

Thanks for your input.
No there is no captive portal.
I reset and tried various browsers. Other users have no problem connecting.

Smiles across the wires,

Rogier

Have you tried running Apple's Network Diagnostics tool (/System/Library/CoreServices/Network Diagnostics.app)? Do you have any other Macs with which you can try to connect to this network? Apple's Wireless Diagnostic (/System/Library/CoreServices/Applications/Wireless Diagnostics.app) may also reveal the source of the problem.

Have you tried connecting another Mac to that network to see if it is some kind of OS X incompatibility vs. just that one MacBook Air?

Last edited:
I resolved the problem by removing all browsing history and cookies. It did not bring up a captive portal but it did work instantly.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!