What's new

Substituting an AP for router's radio

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pege63

Very Senior Member
We live in a housing area where everyone gets into every apartment 100/100 fiber connection. The fiber is connected to a broadband switch which then connected to AC Gateway/Router (Technicolor TG799VAC) but it has poor WiFi coverage, he want to turn off the WiFi on the Gateway and use the WiFi Extender in the middle of the apartment as AP for WIFI need.
0.PNG

I my self have turned off the WiFi on the Gateway (Technicolor TG799VAC) and have an Asus RT-68U as an in AP mode connected by cable to the Gateway (Technicolor TG799VAC) in the middle of the apartment to cover WIFI for mobile phones, tablets, and laptops, everything else is connected by cable to the SmartTV switches, computers, game consoles, BD players and so on.

What would be the optimal solution for everyone's needs?

As I told here before, I have divided all the apartments so that everyone has got their channels in the 2.4 / 5 GHz bands , so no one will be disturbed by their neighbors' Wi-Fi signal, the solution looks like in the picture down here.

24GHzChannelPlanning.png
5GHzChannelPlanning.png

Last edited:
Wireless engineering term for the diagram on channel use is called "Frequency Reuse". It's done in cellular phone systems among cell sites, since the carriers always have too little spectrum. It's also one reason it's bad to put a cell site on a hilltop - screws up the reuse plan.

In the real world, the coverage is not circles due to walls, floors, etc. But a reuse plan is the way to go, and often used in enterprise WiFi for single-tenant large buildings.

Except for CDMA cellular (3G, Verizon, Sprint). With it, there is soft-handoff due to spread spectrum use. A mobile may use 2+ cell sites simultaneously (inbound) and the infrastructure votes, data frame by data frame), on which cell site got the fewest errors in that frame. Etc.

I dont folow you here in, What would be the optimal solution for everyone's needs on this matter sorry?

thats why i suggested the rp-ac68u , but it still cant get past the fact all clients connected behind the repeater are stripped with the same mac address which is that of the repeater and thus removes the ability to control these individual clients behind the repeater

along with the fact all repeaters seem to have issue if the main wifi is dropped for any reason the repeaters struggle to re associate with the main routers wifi

so although yes these new repeaters have better speed and throughput they still do have other issue that frustrate many users and as i have said and i believe you have also , ethernet and AP first followed by powerline and then if no other choice repeaters and extenders

pete

So is my solution here right or wrong?
As my self have turned off the WiFi on the Gateway (Technicolor TG799VAC) and have an Asus RT-68U as an AP in AP mode connected by cable to the Gateway (Technicolor TG799VAC) to the middle of the apartment to cover WIFI for mobile phones, tablets, and laptops, everything else is connected by cable to swiches for SmartTV , desktop computers, game consoles, BD players and so on and on.

Or should he look at a Ubiquiti Networks UniFi AP AC PRO, but then the Router must support PoE as well to work?

Last edited:
So with the adapter i can put it in a Zyxel GS1100-16 swich or is it just a power adapter?
Does the standard IEEE 802.3at means "Power over Ethernet (PoE)"?

Last edited:
Oki i have one off this switches, its says first 3 ports are PoE.
header-soho-switches-gs308p-connectivity-diagram-large.jpg

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!