What's new

Synology DS3615xs - Maximizing its Potential

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

herbolaryo

New Around Here
I plan to get Synology DS3615xs.:)

I will be currently using it as:D
1. File storage for data, pics, video.
2. Stream HD Video
3. Back-up the laptop, ipad and phone
4. Private cloud to access files
5. Video editing

I also plan to buy 3 or 4 camera where I will use NAS for video surveillance.:D

My current hardware are:
1. Router Netgear wndr3700 ver 2
2. ATT u-verse DSL modem (2wire 3801HGV)
3. laptops --Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga and THinkpad W520
4. Ipad
5. Iphone 5 & 6

The OS I use is windows 7 on one laptop; Windows 8.1 on another; and windows 10.
Also Ipad with their apple OS.

I am new to NAS so please less technical terms and I am willing to learn so I can maximize its potential.;)

What hardware and software do I need to buy to maximize bandwidth/ speed (e.g. 10GbE) for my current and future usage? ;)

Thanks.

Wow, the DS3515 in the stratosphere from my perspective.

Does the DSL internet service provide the speed you need? (not a NAS issue). U-verse seems so afar from your high tech. The upstream speed is the issue with cloud serving. I use cable modem (I judge DSL as last century, and AT&T as the evil empire of customer service). Mine is 110Mbps down and 10Mbps upstream. To run a safe and secure cloud server on your NAS, you need to really know how to lock this down.

Your intended uses (5 item list) seems ordinary for a home user, but the NAS is quite elaborate and expensive for a home use case. But, well, OK!

Since you don't specify your future usage, it is hard to make any concrete suggestions.

I understand the Dsl will be the bottleneck for current usage. I plan to add in video surveillance. I understand it is overkill for home use now. I am trying to learn so that when it is used for business with plenty of computer using it, I will be ready (at least with the basic stuff) . Better get ahead of the game.

I understand the Dsl will be the bottleneck for current usage. I plan to add in video surveillance. I understand it is overkill for home use now. I am trying to learn so that when it is used for business with plenty of computer using it, I will be ready (at least with the basic stuff) . Better get ahead of the game.

Might want to step into a starter NAS before you lock yourself into a $3K plus investment that is far beyond your current needs...

Agree 100% with sfx2000 on this.

Any current QNAP NAS runs the same OS (the available options will be different, of course, within that OS depending on hardware) and buying a $1K setup (I recommend at least an 4 drive bay model) will still allow you to do what you need and get you familiar with QTS too.

Also forgot to ask how you expect to use it for video editing? I don't think I know of any NAS that offers that capability.

Thanks for your response.
With regards to video editing, I just do basic stuff as of the moment with Sony Vegas Pro and Cyberlink Power Director (still learning the stuff as well)

I get the rationale for starting with a smaller setup. But I was thinking of using a NAS capable of doing more advance things. I will be using the NAS in the near future for healthcare business where multiple computer accessing it at the same time. I want to start learning the knowledge and skill necessary early. Knowing the basic stuff with a capable NAS then getting to more advance stuff. That is knowing that I already have the tools I need, instead of buying another NAS. So initially, will be using 4 bay of 12 available then adding on as the need and my skill level arise. In the long run, the investment in hardware and knowledge I learn will be more fruitful.

Last edited:
With regards to the video editing, that isn't done on the NAS, it is done on your computer.

For your NAS to 'help' here is to be able to quickly move or copy the finished or in progress work to the NAS for safe keeping. In that regard; you want 10GbE connections (preferably multiples) on the NAS, your workstation computer(s), your switch(es) and hopefully in the near future, your router too.

With the health care business aspect, I would recommend instead a 4, 6 or 8 bay NAS setup times two (add the second one when you actually start using it in the business, of course) or even times three, instead.

A single NAS running a business is never recommended (the hardware can be the weak point too).

Multiple, identical NAS' that are mirrored daily or in real time and share the workload are highly preferred. If / when a NAS fails, you should have a working unit available immediately to continue working without delay.

A single NAS cannot ever offer such protection or guarantee of 'up time'.

I still think that a much lower end NAS than the one you're considering is better suited to your requirements. When you have properly configured multiples of such a 'lower end' NAS, the overall power, efficiency, responsiveness and reliability and dependability of your NAS powered network will be much, much higher than any single NAS can possibly offer.

And, you will be setup to save money too. Not just today, but in the future when you want and need further capabilities from your NAS setup (the existing NAS' are always going to be great for smaller workgroups, home use, or simply, backup purposes).

Merely throwing money and / or hardware at a problem isn't a solution. Think beyond what a working setup will look like (i.e. consider what a setup that 'broke' would need to be 'fixed').

Hello, I have a 1515+ and a 3615, I think for your needs and if you have to have a NAS with 12 drives the 2415 is the way to go, the 3615 has ECC memory and could be updated to fiber or 10gb network.

Take into account that the memory is very expensive needs to be ECC for the 3615, and consumes a lot more energy than the other DS+ series.

And to go 10GB network you have to buy a good and compatible switch, and drives need to be in the same league, like WD SE at least. The provided add on from Synology for 10gb network is cheap, but needs special cables that are expensive, to use nomal 10gb Ethernet cables you have to acquire a compatible add on card from Intel, an extra 500 euros at least.

A good ups is recommended because a normal computer ups does not maintain the unit in power the amount of time to shut down, are you the only user that will access or will be 30 or more simultaneous accesses from the network?

Take a look at the 1515+, 1815+ and 2415+ they are good for 99% of users and offices, very good indeed, and you will notice no difference in the access and services.

And buy good L2 Managed switch to take real advantage of anyone of these NAS, because is needed if you want a good network, cables are a necessity to take full advantage of anyone of these Synology NAS.

But if money is no problem to you, why not.

The DS3615xs is very good, but if you are the only user of it, you will notice no difference from a 1515+.

Last edited: