What's new

The Asus + Merlin + NordVPN router never disconnects from the internet when NordVPN stops working for a moment.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

March 10, 2024

Subject: The Asus + Merlin + NordVPN router never disconnects from the internet when NordVPN stops working for a moment.

Good morning,

I have an Asus RT-AC86U router with the latest firmware from Merlin and NordVPN.
When NordVPN shuts down, you never know when, the router continues to work, and therefore it shows the real IP address. Which is unsafe and really annoying and stressful.

On the other hand, if I use the NordVPN application only, without a VPN on the router, and NordVPN stops working, then I no longer have access to the Internet. Which is normal, and that is what I want.

It seems that Merlin's Kill switch does not work, at least it never worked for me.

Or else I do not know how to configure it correctly so that the Internet connection stops working when NordVPN is not working.

I do not know if anyone knows what to do and if they have the time to describe, from A to Z, all the steps to take so that Asus + Merlin + NordVPN can work and that if NordVPN stops, no longer have an Internet connection.

In other words, I would like to have what NordVPN offers me with its software on Asus + Merlin hardware.

If you do not know, no need to answer me. In addition, there is no need to put links that refer to others, etc. and which ultimately explain nothing.
Alternatively, you know or not. It seems to me that this is clear. Sorry, but we answer correctly, or we skip the questions.
Thanks

March 10, 2024

Subject: The Asus + Merlin + NordVPN router never disconnects from the internet when NordVPN stops working for a moment.

Good morning,

I have an Asus RT-AC86U router with the latest firmware from Merlin and NordVPN.
When NordVPN shuts down, you never know when, the router continues to work, and therefore it shows the real IP address. Which is unsafe and really annoying and stressful.

On the other hand, if I use the NordVPN application only, without a VPN on the router, and NordVPN stops working, then I no longer have access to the Internet. Which is normal, and that is what I want.

It seems that Merlin's Kill switch does not work, at least it never worked for me.

Or else I do not know how to configure it correctly so that the Internet connection stops working when NordVPN is not working.

I do not know if anyone knows what to do and if they have the time to describe, from A to Z, all the steps to take so that Asus + Merlin + NordVPN can work and that if NordVPN stops, no longer have an Internet connection.

In other words, I would like to have what NordVPN offers me with its software on Asus + Merlin hardware.

If you do not know, no need to answer me. In addition, there is no need to put links that refer to others, etc. and which ultimately explain nothing.
Alternatively, you know or not. It seems to me that this is clear. Sorry, but we answer correctly, or we skip the questions.
Thanks
There are some solutions in place for this. I've been living the NordVPN experience for a few years, and initially dealt with the frustration of dropped VPN connections and other instability. These are the reasons I wrote VPNMON-R3 and KILLMON. First, know that the killswitch functionality that's built into the firmware only works if the vpn tunnel shuts down in error. If there's other reasons it shuts down, the killswitch is not active. And based on people's experience with it, it seems to either work or not work, and hard to pin down why or why not.

VPNMON-R3 is a utility that monitors your VPN connection at all times, and when NordVPN decides to reboot servers, or your connection goes bad, it will reconnect to a different server to maintain that 100% uptime on the vpn tunnel.

KILLMON is an alternative killswitch that uses your iptables to prevent any IPv4 or IPv6 traffic from leaking over your WAN should the VPN go down. You have the choice of using paranoid mode (all traffic/network clients), an IP range of select clients on your network, or a single IP that would be affected by the killswitch.

Read up... give them a try, and let me know if you have any questions. Be happy to help!

Last edited:
@Viktor Jaep
Good morning,
I appreciate your help, but the solution I am looking for is hardware, in the Router, not software.
The reason is simple. The Router is used for all connected devices, including television.

The NordVPN application and its “kill switch” works well, but this is software. So if NordVPN is shut down for some reason (from the company and not a local disconnection), all devices connected to the router, except the computer using the NordVPN application, will show the real IP address. Which I absolutely do not want.
I do not understand why Merlin has a Kill Switch if it serves no purpose.

To sum up
If NordVPN is disconnected from the NordVPN company and not disconnected locally by the user, then:

1-All devices connected to the Asus router running Merlin and NordVPN which is configured inside Merlin (hardware):

Asus + Merlin + configuring NordVPN in Merlin
Result: All devices will show the real IP address

2-All devices connected to the Asus router. We do not use NordVPN with Merlin, but the application (software) that NordVPN provides.
Asus + NordVPN desktop application
Result: The computer on which the NordVPN application and its Kill Switch is activated will lose the Internet connection. However, all other devices display the real IP address. What we do not want.

Thank you all the same for your solution.

@DiOnlyThingINoIsThatIDont,

You're not understanding the real solution that @Viktor Jaep is offering.

Hardware cannot do what you're asking for without software. Even a 'dumb' unmanaged switch has software running to do what we expect it to do. And that is 'only', Ethernet.

@Viktor Jaep
Good morning,
I appreciate your help, but the solution I am looking for is hardware, in the Router, not software.
If you want dedicated killswitch hardware, you will need to look elsewhere. A SOHO Asus router is not meant for that purpose.
The NordVPN application and its “kill switch” works well, but this is software. So if NordVPN is shut down for some reason (from the company and not a local disconnection), all devices connected to the router, except the computer using the NordVPN application, will show the real IP address. Which I absolutely do not want.
I do not understand why Merlin has a Kill Switch if it serves no purpose.
I'm not talking about using "NordVPN Applications". I've never used these. All devices on my network participate on a NordVPN connection that is established by my router. It's a whole-home VPN connection and managed through means of the VPN Director. If the NordVPN connections goes down, VPNMON-R3 will ensure it comes back up automatically, while all my devices are protected by my KILLMON killswitch. Like @L&LD said... you need software to go around the hardware to help bring more functionality. Even the killswitch that's built-into the Merlin FW is software-based.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!