What's new

Thoughts on my home network?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FreeLunch

New Around Here
I currently have ethernet run to many points in my home. I have two networks built off of different routers. The first network is for IoT devices (Nest, chinese cameras!?!, sprinkler controls, guest wifi, etc). I then have a router installed creating a second network which I use for secure stuff (desktop computer that is left on all the times, where I store files, etc). My thoughts is that this allows me to segregate and protect my data while still enjoying IoT devices.

I currently have two sets of wireless routers for each network. My plan is to install Google Wifi (via ethernet) for the secure setup. I will then potentially add Google wifi for the unsecure as well (or maybe just leave it alone).

I was reading Tims articles and I know he said to use ethernet backhaul and Wifi APs (This is essentially what I've done). However, what's annoying is that there are still areas that randomly have issues and I figure the Google Wifi is a little more idiot proof.

Any critiques of the current or future setup?

Can you describe what issues you are having? How many total APs do you have for each network? For simplicity and performance, I would typically recommend segregating the networks using VLANs. what model routers do you have. Do you have one or multiple ISPs?

I am also confused as to what thoughts you are looking for? Is your setup what I would do? No I would use a single router with VLANs. Will your setup work? From what you have described I think your setup will work, especially if you don't need to port forward anything or need a VPN endpoint at your inside router. As far as wifi, yea if you have areas that don't get good signal then a WAP wired back your router is a good solution.

It's been a little crazy with work and things so I haven't had much free time. The issues that I was having was that I would have inconsistent wifi performance throughout the house. Devices would stick to an access point even if you were standing next to a closer access point. I have a mix of Linksys / Netgear AC routers.

I ended up using Google wifi and it works really well for consistent wifi throughout the house. I do use double netting for some purposes and that works fine as well.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!