What's new

TM1900@68U acts as switch, no NVRAM reset, can get to CFE

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Merconium

New Around Here
Successfully got a TM1900 running as a 68U on 380.61 (in AP mode with a 66U routing in my study), at least for a few days.

For the last few days the router acts only like a switch. Put simply, it doesn't look like it gets out of the CFE loader and into linux.

I can't reset NVRAM with any published method (clearly I know how since I had to during the process of getting to Merlin).
After releasing the WPS button, the lights turn off, but in three seconds or so the power and network are back up (no boot-up, all LED sequence) in switch mode. I've left it unplugged for an hour, tried again, etc.

Bizarrely, I can get to the CFE miniwebserver via browser when putting the router into recovery. Hitting the default NVRAM button there doesn't seem to have any effect (on the lights or in causing a reboot). I can upload trx files (have tried newest beta, tomato, and ASUS current), but they don't seem to have any effect, either. It says it's going to reboot, but just goes back to switch mode.

If I get the router into recovery and try to use the Firmware Restoration tool (evidently the same basic TFTP system as the CFE), it doesn't find the router.

Telnet won't connect to it when in recovery.

I'm suspecting that a brownout might have done something (on surge but not UPS), but I think it worked at least once, briefly, after that. The log on my Eaton 9130 in my study shows it was a double-whammy brownout, but I would think solid state would tolerate that okay.

Any suggestions for stuff to try before I file it as fried with Amex Purchase Protection?