What's new

TP-link ac1750 awesome at SIP are there others?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PoppaCap

New Around Here
Hi,

I have been converting an office over to VOIP based telephony and made a cool discovery. The TP-Link AC1750 (C7) is configured out of the box to handle multiple sip clients. I just hooked up a 2 line phone and an ata for a total of 3 SIP clients and they fired up the first time and work great.

I had no idea how unusual this was until I started rolling out phones to others who are behind dd-wrt, dd-wrt-voip, buffalo, linksys and others. With port forwarding, milkfish, and other tricks, I could get some of them to work, but generally, just one sip client. Yes, my setup is a little unusual in that I am a voip provider to home office clients without a VPN. pfsense+sipproxd are an awesome sip proxy. But just try and configure proxy to proxy communications, it ain't fun.

I haven't found anything about why the Archer C7 works so well, and its firmware exposes nothing regarding sip that I can find. I called tech support to ask them what other models share the same firmware and why does this work so well. The guy had no clue and could not understand how this was a problem.

Matter of fact this whole issue of multiple SIP clients and NATing seems to be largely ignored by manufacturers and reviewers. This is now a must have feature for me and for anyone else who wants a voip-based phone and fax or multiline phone.

So I need some routers, and will probably go with more C7s, but it is getting old. I am hoping that there are other guys who are exploring this as well and would love to know what works and what doesn't.

Mike

Many consumer Router/AP's have SIP-ALG implementations that are a bit broken - seen this more than a couple of times...

In looking for a cheap router that may work with multiple SIP clients, I picked up the TP-Link TLWR841N for $19. Sorry to say, seems to allow SIP traffic just through port forwarding meaning that all SIP clients have to be at same address.
No SIP controls exposed that i could find.

Mike

Just setup a FIOS Actiontec MI424WR-GEN3I. Turned on SIP ALG and all seems fine. Two SIP clients on two devices added.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!