What's new

Traffic Monitor Speed Measurement

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lotta Cox

Thx for this usefull firmware! Super upgrade over the Asus FW.
Only thing I wish is the ability to change the traffic monitor speed measurement from KB/s to Mbps. I don't see any way to change it unless I missed it. Every speedtest ect., uses Mbps. Why are they using KB/s?

Google calc says:
1 kilobyte / second = 0.0078125 Mbps

Is that a correct conversion?

So my internet speed is 50/10Mbps.

And 50 Mbps = 6400 KBps
So you have to mulitply by 128. Ugg...Can't get used to this. Everyone likes the KBps?

Anyway Merlin could add a setting to change it?

Also, the Transmission/Reception seems backwards.
Shouldn't downloads be reception not transmission?

Il explain how ISP's and devices measure speed generally and some conversion numbers....

Lets get our numbers straight first:
in every Byte there are 8 Bits
In every Kilobit as measured by ISP's its usually rounded off to 1000 bits even though Computers use 1024 because of binary...
The same goes for how many Kilobits in a Megabit....
(storage devices are usually done like this to for simplicitys sake)

Now ISP's and speedtest sites generally report in the Units of Bits/s, Kbits/s, and Mbits/s while Most devices and the software they run tend to report speeds in Bytes/s, Kbytes/s and Mbyte/s and so on..... (except for networking status and the like which is almost always reported in the unit of bits rather than bytes)

This means that if your download manager such as a torrent client says your pulling 125Kbyte/s for example, then your ISP would see that as 1Mbit/s due to there being 8 bits to a byte.

So simply put to work out how fast your line is running without having to get speed test to tell you, just download a reasonable sized file (something that should take atleast 30 seconds) and take note of the Speed thats reported in Kbyte/s and simply multiply by 8, that gives your actual line speed in kbit/s.

That should clear the confusion up for ya.

Not really confused. I should have said I need to divide the KBs by 128 to get Mbps. Not a calculation I can do in my head. Haven't used KBs since dialup. Everything these days is measured in Mbps. Even the the bitrate of video files and blurays. I have been using tomato for a while. That had Mbps in the realtime graph. I don't remember if that graph was preconfigured to Mbps, or if I had to change it.

Thx for this usefull firmware! Super upgrade over the Asus FW.
Only thing I wish is the ability to change the traffic monitor speed measurement from KB/s to Mbps. I don't see any way to change it unless I missed it. Every speedtest ect., uses Mbps. Why are they using KB/s?

Google calc says:
1 kilobyte / second = 0.0078125 Mbps

Is that a correct conversion?

Old thread, but still wonders if it is possible to change the format from KB/s to Mbps. I would like to choose instead of using a calculator.

Does anyone have any idea if this is possible?

Old thread, but still wonders if it is possible to change the format from KB/s to Mbps. I would like to choose instead of using a calculator.

Does anyone have any idea if this is possible?

Does DD-WRT Kongs build 23884 have it?

It would be nice to have an option to change it from kb 's to Mbps or MB's.

If you are using win8 or win8.1, the new task manager shows an accurate speed in Mbps.

It would be nice to have an option to change it from kb 's to Mbps or MB's.

If you are using win8 or win8.1, the new task manager shows an accurate speed in Mbps.

Yes 8.1, but I need speed measurement for other devices, not PC's.
I guess since Merlin has never responded he has no interest in this. Or it can't be done.

Yes 8.1, but I need speed measurement for other devices, not PC's.
I guess since Merlin has never responded he has no interest in this. Or it can't be done.

Lot of more important things have a higher priority than visual preferences.

It's just a matter of limited manpower and time, so patch submissions are welcome.

Ok NP. I figured it was a lot of work.
I never learned any coding. I don't think I could do it. Funny because my sister writes firmware for IBM mainframes. I do computer hardware and admin.

I never liked the KB/s either....looks like 3 lines need to be changed to hardcode a change to Mb/s.

Code:
diff --git a/release/src/router/www/tm.svg b/release/src/router/www/tm.svg
index 144bc86..65cab78 100644
--- a/release/src/router/www/tm.svg
+++ b/release/src/router/www/tm.svg
@@ -102,8 +102,8 @@ function pad(n)

function xps(n)
 {
-       n /= 1024;
-       return n.toFixed(2) + ' KB/s';
+        n = ((n / 1024) * (8 / 1024));
+       return n.toFixed(2) + ' Mb/s';
 }

function setText(e, text)
diff --git a/release/src/router/www/tmcal.js b/release/src/router/www/tmcal.js
index c8c5f81..c9060b1 100644
--- a/release/src/router/www/tmcal.js
+++ b/release/src/router/www/tmcal.js
@@ -41,7 +41,7 @@ function xpsb(byt)
        125 = 1000 / 8
        ((B * 8) / 1000)
 REMOVE-END */
-       return (byt / 1024).toFixed(2) + ' <small>KB/s</small>';
+        return ((byt / 1024) * (8 / 1024)).toFixed(2) + ' <small>Mb/s</small>';
 }

function showCTab()

Attachments

• TM-Mbps.JPG
    TM-Mbps.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 474
And for people with slower (5 Mbits DSL) connections, hardcoding in MBits is even worse, as they lose a lot of accuracy. Hence the need for an actual option to switch between both, which isn't a 5 mins fix unfortunately.

Actually, I was thinking about 'auto-scaling' the values to report in a reasonable resolution as the simplest compromise. That's what is already done with the Total bytes transferred data.

Actually, I was thinking about 'auto-scaling' the values to report in a reasonable resolution as the simplest compromise. That's what is already done with the Total bytes transferred data.

Auto-scaling wouldn't work on something that varies constantly such as current throughput. It would constantly switch between KB/s (when streaming audio) to MB/s (when streaming video), for example.