What's new

Trouble with AC87R

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Makki

New Around Here
Hello All,

I've recently bought a asus ac87R and have atempting to set it up with no luck, it just doesn't receive an IP address from my main router through DHCP. and giving it the information via static IP does not result in working internet, there is no indication in the system log as to why its not working, its says "WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly." am I missing something, can someone lend a hand? system log below

I'm currently running it on the latest merlin

log on a google drive document:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1r5jJyGLnDT6SEM8k2S7BGZgoa_NAVF8zX645VwUcdec/edit?usp=sharing

I have tried doing so. putting into AP mode, makes a few changes:

1) my wifi becomes is a constant state of connect (for a few seconds) and reconnect (for a few minutes), with me unable to even access the settings page unless it is connected (20-30 seconds). Otherwise, it has no connection to the DHCP server working on the original router. it says the gateway is 192.168.1.1 which is the ip address of the this router not the original router. otherwise, there is no point where i can edit WAN settings while in AP mode.

If you hit the AP switch, it should automatically kill DHCP, and turn it into a layer two device. I would reflash it. And start over. Is there a set up wizard?

Ok so I've done as you asked, reflashed ASUSWRT, tried it, then reflashed Merlin, and tried both. the same thing happens when on both:

1) if I have settings on auto: it just stays on "obtaining IP address," with no ability to connect to 192,168.1.1
2) Once i setup static up related to the DHCP pool of 192.168.1.1 (2-50) i am able to connect to router setup
3) no ability to set up Wan address but only Lan address.
4)even then no internet still, it is still unable to detect dns/others from original router ip (192.168.100.1)

After reflashing you should reset to factory defaults too and then do a manual configuration of the router in the mode you want it in.

Ok so I've done as you asked, reflashed ASUSWRT, tried it, then reflashed Merlin, and tried both. the same thing happens when on both:

1) if I have settings on auto: it just stays on "obtaining IP address," with no ability to connect to 192,168.1.1
2) Once i setup static up related to the DHCP pool of 192.168.1.1 (2-50) i am able to connect to router setup
3) no ability to set up Wan address but only Lan address.
4)even then no internet still, it is still unable to detect dns/others from original router ip (192.168.100.1)

The AP needs to be in the same subnet as your router. I see you have 192.168.100.1 for the router / DHCP Server?

So, your AP would need an IP address of 192.168.100.2. EDIT: IMO 192.168.100.2 would be the preferred IP Address, if available.
Just be careful no device is using the IP Address you are going to assign to the AP. There will not be a WAN address for an AP. The default gateway to the WAN will be 192.168.100.1. According to what you have described..

So.. this is the connection AP 192.168.100.x <<<<--->>>> Router / DHCP server - 192.168.100.1

Last edited:
just so I understand AP mode disables DHCP & NAT,

So i've changed the ip address to something on the same subnet as my main router. as such the DHCP running on the main router should give out ipaddresses to everything that connects to my asus , right? this isn't happening, IP addresses are self assigned now. I've tried switching the cable from WAN port to LAN port with no success, still no Ip addresses handed out.

thanks again everyone for the help

So I've been doing some experimenting:

Plugged the incoming cable from main router (DHCP server) into LAN port and put the router into AP mode with static IP on the same subnet as main DHCP server.
Results: NO IP ADDRESS handed over. once a static IP on same subnet is established, can ping main router and even access it's setup page but no access to internet (DNS set as Main router address and google DNS). what's funny is that it cannot see any of the devices that are already connected on the network! just router and self (even though same subnet),

I think it may be a NAT issue, but AP mode disables NAT, right?

All an AP does is extend a LAN segment. A fair amount of features should be disabled when the router is in AP mode. You would have to look at the AP to see what is greyed out. Which port are you supposed to use from the AP to router. Is it a LAN port, or the WAN port?

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "static IP on the same subnet as main DHCP server.
Results: NO IP ADDRESS handed over. "
Handed over to what?

Did you add a static IP Address to the AP, or reserve (manually assign an IP address) to the AP, as there is a difference. When giving a device a static IP Address, you would need to modify your DHCP Pool to exclude the IP Address you assigned to a device. If you reserve / manually assign an IP address to the device, then that IP address can be within your DHCP Pool. Important to know which, is which.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online