What's new

Trouble with Gateway settings for PPPOE on E3000 using DD-WRT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

manzaboy

New Around Here
Hi,
I am using a Linksys E3000 with DD-WRT installed (dd-wrt.v24-15962_NEWD-2_K2.6_big)and wanted to configure it to be a Gateway in use with a TP-Link TD-8817 ADSL modem in Bridge mode.

I have changed the IP address of the Modem to 192.168.2.1 and have set the modem into Bridge mode with DHCP switched off.

I have then set up the E3000 as a Gateway in PPPOE mode with DHCP enabled.
I have however not been able to get the E3000 to connect.
I suspect the issue is with the DD-WRT Network setup configuration?

My settings are;

Local IP: 192.168.1.1
Subnet: 255, 255, 255,0
Gateway: 192.168.2.1
Local DNS: 192.168.2.1

It shows as disconnected in the WAN status.
I am in the UK and using SKY broadband.

Screenshots of relevant screens on post here

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=171624&sid=b6addad0e00dbc79ee2c824452ae439d

Has anyone got a configuration like this working or can suggest where I might be going wrong? I have trawled through various posts but not found an answer...

Many thanks in advance,

Manzaboy

When you run the modem in bridge mode there usually no IP address on the modem. The router ends up with the outside IP address. So the router needs to be setup with the appropriate outside interface like PPOE so it can communicate with your ISP.

The bridge has an IP address only for admin purposes. It's not relevant in traffic flows, as the bridge is a layer 2 device that passes packets of all kinds, with or without IP content.

I think the modem is still performing routing service and is not in bridge mode as his gateway address and his DNS address are in the same scope as the management address on the modem. He does not have an outside address.

Thanks both for taking the time out to respond...

So if the IP address of the modem in Bridge mode is irrelevant in the routing what should I set the Gateway and Local DNS to?
I have seen conflicting suggestions on my hours of trawling the forums for answers. Some suggest 0.0.0.0 in each and others the DD-WRT Router ip address (192.168.1.1)
I believe I have tried both without making any difference...

I am using bridge to avoid the double NAT scenario as I gather that causes more headaches but at present I can't get any connection on the router so I am getting exasperated!

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
I upgraded the router to DD-WRT so I can eventually use VLAN configuration for guest wifi when I deploy additional access points but so far have not got off the starting blocks!!!

When you set your modem in bridge mode there no IP addresses to set on the modem. I would contact your ISP and ask them how to set your modem in bridge mode. You may have turned NAT off but I think the modem is still routing if you are having to set IP addresses.