What's new

Troubleshooting Wifi Config

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JdeFalconr

New Around Here
Thanks in advance for the help.

The issue has to do with my wife's iPhone that, for whatever reason, will show as connected to my network but loses all internet access. Changing between networks in my home on the device restores internet access, as does changing back to the original network; this leads me to believe it's not an issue with the network itself failing. I am entirely willing to admit that it's a problem with my current configuration and would happy to accept suggestions for improvement. However I want to eliminate that possibility before I declare this an issue with the device. I'm running in this configuration to help provide solid coverage throughout our condo which, due to where the AP's must be placed, would not happen with just one.

My setup:
I have two devices I'm using as access points: an Amped Wireless AP20000G and a Netgear N600 (WNDR3700) running into a GB switch with a M0n0wall router. The N600 is connected to the switch via a powerline unit and is acting only as a switch/AP with routing and DHCP functions disabled.

I run two WiFi networks in my home - one exclusively 2.4Ghz and one 5Ghz - that are broadcast from both of my AP's. Both networks serve wireless-N only. Both AP's broadcast the same SSID for each network, same channel width (20MHz), use the same security (WPA2-PSK using AES) and have the same password set. Channel selection is set to automatic (with the exception of the 5GHz network on the N600, which has no "auto" option).

The entire network uses a single /24 subnet so there's no routing going on LAN-wise. I haven't seen these issues with other devices.

On my wife's iPhone she sees only two networks displayed on her device, which is how I want it. One possibility is that her device is "stuck" on the connection to the AP serving that network that's farther away and thus the loss of connectivity. However I would expect in that situation her connection would simply be poor, not nonexistent as is the case.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!