What's new

Trying to rescue my router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OOo

Regular Contributor
My AC68 (located in another country) slowly dies after about 2 hours to the point I can no longer access it (ddns or vpn) unless I get someone to reboot it. It seems too like I am getting limited internet when I can access it as it runs very slow. I have SmartThings and it shows on my app that it is working. My ObiHai connects but then also dies after about 2 hours. That could because the internet speed is somehow getting reduced??? Running 384.5 and have been since it was released but these problems just started. I think it is my ISP (PPPoE) but I don't know. I think I have PPPoE setup correctly. All I really did was put in the user id and password the ISP gave me. Don't recall changing anything else.

I do see "promiscuous mode" in sys log. Never seen that and have no idea what it means. I was able to download the syslog before I got booted. Unfortunately I am not qualified enough to make sense of it.

Dec 20 13:49:41 kernel: device tun21 entered promiscuous

when I click Network Map>Internet Status
-WAN: I see two wan addresses - I would think there should just be one??
-Lease Time: Renewing??
-Lease Expires: Expired??

Any thoughts? thx

Have you got data intensive ip cameras. Are you able to look at the CPU? Do you have a old isp router lying around to see if it’s your isp?

Do you have duel wan enabled?

Perhaps also upload the log for those who can make sense of it to be able to help further.

Last edited:
I have 1 WIFI camera. Worked fine for 2 years. Can't access now shows as offline
When I was able to get in there I did look at the CPU and RAM. It was fine.
Dual WAN is not enabled.
I am 1500 miles away so I can't hook a spare router to check.
On monday, I have a scheduled reboot. I should be able to log in then but will get the boot quickly there after.
I will post my system log. Just need to redact first.
thanks

Can running VPN Server somehow kill WIFI internet? possibly if is not setup correctly?

Here is my AC68 Merlin 384.5 sys log.
Again, I can't access via VPN or DDNS. I am remotely located. When I get someone to reboot the router I can access for about 2 hours before I get the boot. While on speed is extremely slow. ObiHai phone will connect but aftere 2 hours it drops. SmartThings has been staying connected.
Trying to understand what is going on. Is it my ISP PPPoE (fiber optic) or is my router somehow dying.

Unfortunately I am not qualified enough to troubleshoot the system log so I am hoping someone might be able to take a look. Trying to avoid getting on an airplane to go fix.

On monday I have a scheduled reboot. I should be able to get in for an hour or 2 before I get the boot. Last time I was in there I was checking my settings and comparing against my home AC68. This next time I am not sure what more I can do to figure out what is going on.

In sys log I do see this with a feb date which I don't quite understand after researching.

Feb 13 16:00:16 kernel: device vlan1 entered promiscuous mode
Feb 13 16:00:16 kernel: device eth0 entered promiscuous mode
Feb 13 16:00:16 kernel: device eth1 entered promiscuous mode
Feb 13 16:00:16 kernel: device eth2 entered promiscuous mode
Feb 13 16:00:16 kernel: br0: topology change detected, propagating
Feb 13 16:00:16 kernel: br0: port 3(eth2) entering forwarding state
Feb 13 16:00:16 kernel: br0: port 3(eth2) entering forwarding state

I do have several screen shots from the last time I was in there.

thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• syslog_dec20.txt
    404.2 KB · Views: 466
Running 384.5 and have been since it was released but these problems just started. I think it is my ISP (PPPoE) but I don't know. I think I have PPPoE setup correctly. All I really did was put in the user id and password the ISP gave me. Don't recall changing anything else.”

So do you mean everything was working perfectly until you changed ISP or changed the setup to PPPoE? Can you expand on this, and, unless I’ve got hold of the wrong end of the stick, would it be easy to revert to whatever setup you had beforehand as part of the troubleshooting?

Running 384.5 and have been since it was released but these problems just started. I think it is my ISP (PPPoE) but I don't know. I think I have PPPoE setup correctly. All I really did was put in the user id and password the ISP gave me. Don't recall changing anything else.”

So do you mean everything was working perfectly until you changed ISP or changed the setup to PPPoE? Can you expand on this, and, unless I’ve got hold of the wrong end of the stick, would it be easy to revert to whatever setup you had beforehand as part of the troubleshooting?

Managed to turn off the VPN server on router I have been trying to rescue. Everything works now. Realized several weeks ago the same exact thing happened to my home router-same exact model and 384.5. The VPN server killed WIFI internet access and connected devices got little to no internet, Smarthings worked but not ObiHai.

Any thoughts on what this could be related to? I don't see anyone else having issues. I've did some testing today on my home router but as soon as I turn on the VPN server things go to hell. When it comes to the system log i just don't really know how to interpret or if there is even anything there.

thanks

Managed to turn off the VPN server on router I have been trying to rescue. Everything works now. Realized several weeks ago the same exact thing happened to my home router-same exact model and 384.5. The VPN server killed WIFI internet access and connected devices got little to no internet, Smarthings worked but not ObiHai.

Any thoughts on what this could be related to? I don't see anyone else having issues. I've did some testing today on my home router but as soon as I turn on the VPN server things go to hell. When it comes to the system log i just don't really know how to interpret or if there is even anything there.

thanks
Are these AC68Us really or converted devices? Is that why you are on 384.5? Because you can't update? Just curious because there are several posts showing no support for non Asus models and having Asuswrt-merlin on them is illegal. If I'm wrong that's cool too. The 384.8_2 is by far the best firmware if your routers are legit. Sorry bud someone has to ask.

Are these AC68Us really or converted devices? Is that why you are on 384.5? Because you can't update? Just curious because there are several posts showing no support for non Asus models and having Asuswrt-merlin on them is illegal. If I'm wrong that's cool too. The 384.8_2 is by far the best firmware if your routers are legit. Sorry bud someone has to ask.

yes, they are legit real Asus 68's. I am on 384.5 because this router is in another country. Last time I was there was 4-5 months ago. When I upgrade I upgrade all at the same time. Keeps my issues down. Also, I don't do any real heavy lifting. I use VPN Client on the out of country router back to one of my home routers so that I can watch USA cable TV. I went to these routers and merlin fw for this reason. I don't see anything regarding my issue so I am not so sure 384.8_2 would matter.

I have both OpenVPN servers running on my RT-AC68U. Have done for years without a glitch.

You are running OpenVPN server?

And what about:

Running 384.5 and have been since it was released but these problems just started. I think it ismy ISP (PPPoE) but I don't know. I think I have PPPoE setup correctly. All I really did was put in the user id and password the ISP gave me. Don't recall changing anything else.”

Why did you suspect the problem might be related to your ISP?

I have always realized that running VPN on the router and then running all devices especially the media player (nvidia shield or firetv) eventually kills your router. I have seen 3 AC5300's with this config.

1. first one died with 2.4 ghz not connected
2. second one would not complete the reboot cycle and nothing worked to bring it back up. no tftp, ssh, nothing
3. Second would connect without internet

Ever since its wired no issues at all.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!