What's new

Trying to Understand RAID on my 216j NAS.....................

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kevin Becker

New Around Here
I have had a Synology 216j NAS system for about 6 months now and would like to understand what kind of RAID system that I have... I am guessing that it is called SHR, and I have been assuming that I since I have 2 Hard Drives (3 TB apiece) that I have a Complete Copy of one of my 3TB hard Drives.... So, if one of them failed, I would just replace it with another 3TB Drive and that would be it.

But I'm only guessing here and don't know for sure what is SHR and what I am actually doing ??? Can someone enlighten me?

Attachments

• RAID.jpg
    RAID.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 567
SHR will only come to play when you have dissimilar size drives. Otherwise it is similar to RAID. In other words, you got a mirror if you have 2 drives of the same size. There is a very good explanation of SHR somewhere on the Synology site - search for it if you want details.

I have had a Synology 216j NAS system for about 6 months now and would like to understand what kind of RAID system that I have... I am guessing that it is called SHR, and I have been assuming that I since I have 2 Hard Drives (3 TB apiece) that I have a Complete Copy of one of my 3TB hard Drives.... So, if one of them failed, I would just replace it with another 3TB Drive and that would be it.

But I'm only guessing here and don't know for sure what is SHR and what I am actually doing ??? Can someone enlighten me?

SHR = Synology Hybrid Array and admittedly I don't know much about SHR, though I do have a basic understanding what a RAID Array is and their different levels. Here's a link to the Synology article as well as a Wikipedia article on RAID Arrays. FYI RAID = Redundant Array of Independent Disks.

https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Storage/What_is_Synology_Hybrid_RAID_SHR

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

SHR will only come to play when you have dissimilar size drives. Otherwise it is similar to RAID. In other words, you got a mirror if you have 2 drives of the same size. There is a very good explanation of SHR somewhere on the Synology site - search for it if you want details.
Thanks for your reply...... I guess I have a Mirror then, if I have 2 drives of the same size. I have been at the Synology Site and have read through the SHR stuff...... I understood it last fall, but need to Study it some more. They do refer to my RAID as 'SHR' on my Storage Page.... attached.

Attachments

• Raid 2.jpg
    Raid 2.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 505
Last edited:
I'm no expert either but SHR (Synology Hybrid Raid) is their own version of RAID. It is similar to RAID1 in that it gives you exact mirroring on 2 identical size drives but can again be used with dissimilar drives. It is the default setting on my DS216j and i have it on that setting myself as well.
I too have 2 identical drives though so would like to know what the pros and cons are of this version compared to vanilla RAID1 in terms of performance etc. Are there any comparisons out there anywhere? I haven't found any.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm no exit either but SHR (Synology Hybrid Raid) is their own version of RAID. It is similar to RAID1 in that it gives you exact mirroring on 2 identical size drives but can again be used with dissimilar drives. It is the default setting on my DS216j and i have it on that setting myself as well.
I too have 2 identical drives though so would like to know what the pros and cons are of this version compared to vanilla RAID1 in terms of performance etc. Are there any comparisons out there anywhere? I haven't found any.

Just look for the link posted above!

Thanks yk101

So, in Reading from the above links.... With my two Drive DS216j, it looks like I am Keeping a Complete Copy of 1 Disk, Which would be RAID 1...... Which Synology is referring to as SHR ..... Are they the same then?

And if so, why doesn't Synology just refer to it as RAID 1?

As I already mentioned, SHR with two identical disks is an exact equivalent to RAID1 (aka mirror). In other words, it is N-1 redundancy. SHR would only make a difference if you have dissimilar size drives, AND more than two of them at that!

As I already mentioned, SHR with two identical disks is an exact equivalent to RAID1 (aka mirror). In other words, it is N-1 redundancy. SHR would only make a difference if you have dissimilar size drives, AND more than two of them at that!

Yes, I saw that, but you left off the "1", and that is why I was confused. "Otherwise it is similar to RAID. In other words, you got a mirror if you have 2 drives of the same size."

So, now I get it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!