What's new

My NAS is Failing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So, we will see how it works out. Any way I go I need another drive. Maybe Windows would be a better long term sleep solution. I would think the Dell OptiPlex would have a better power supply than my NAS.

If the NAS is powered off most of the time, would something like a direct attached USB drive be an option?

Costco usually has the Segate 8TB USB3 drives for $149 - the Amazon price is similar there...

I am a network guy. I want it LAN based. I also don't want my important files on a PC I use to browse the internet. That is just asking for trouble.

So, I loaded my drive in my Windows 11 PC. I loaded the Western Digital utilities, and they show the drive as being healthy. I cannot read the volume as it not Windows based it is ext4.

My guess now is the NAS could have a weak power supply which is not designed for being turned off and on. Maybe an alert was sent since the drive is around 3 years old??? I think my NAS is going on around 3 years old. Has anybody seen false alarms turning off and on their NAS boxes?

I don't like false alarms.

I don't think WDs 3 year "feature" will be the issue here - it will most likely be based on power on hours so your 12 days a year gives a long way yet.

Not sold on the power supply but anythings possible.

Did the WD tools show any of the SMART attributes or just say healthy?

I am a network guy. I want it LAN based. I also don't want my important files on a PC I use to browse the internet. That is just asking for trouble.

That's fair...

Regarding the PSU - probably it's good... the NAS isn't that old, and Syno usually provides quality wall adapters...

Going back to the original warning - wonder if this was a "back to the future" glitch - does the NAS have a RTC, and if so, maybe the battery has discharged, resetting the clock back to whatever date...

I don't think WDs 3 year "feature" will be the issue here - it will most likely be based on power on hours so your 12 days a year gives a long way yet.

Not sold on the power supply but anythings possible.

Did the WD tools show any of the SMART attributes or just say healthy?
Not that I really saw. And there was no firmware update. The gauge was in the healthy solid green. Volume was blank. It said if I wanted to erase the drive, I would need to do it in BIOS.

If not power supply then what? Maybe software bug in NAS?

The NAS is clean as I have not run it very many hours.
IMG_1317.jpg

Last edited:
Dang Mister, you sure keep that beauty clean.
There have been so many "shenanigans" being played by WD, that I've been looking at the status page, when updating DS and packages. DS-918+ running 24/7, and luckily 4-WD 10TB REDs and 2-970 500GBs are still Green and Healthy.

Last edited:
Which model, specifically?

It is prime day and SSDs are a little cheaper.

This is a good time to shop for SSD's - there's a NAND price war going on, and also an oversupply...

Recently picked up a PNY 512GB SATA drive over at BestBuy for $22...

That was actually the same price for a USB thumb drive for the same size...

DRAM is in a similar place - now might be a good time for DDR2/3/4 if one is looking to upgrade.