What's new

Unable to downgrade firmware on AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Phoenix

Regular Contributor
So I am using the latest firmware 3.0.0.4.380_3341 which I see ASUS have pulled recently and I'm not happy with it. I rarely if ever connect to the 5GHz network (using Smart Connect) it always assigns my laptop which is using a Killer-AC 1535 WLAN card to the 2.4 GHz

Anyway long story short, I tried flashing back the latest official or even the latest BETA which was released right before this build but here is what I get when I try to flash it:

Firmware upgrade unsuccessful. This may result from incorrect image or error transmission.

2016-06-12_063609.png

any ideas how to flash back?

You need to put router in recovery mode then use the recovery tool or launch web browser then use the CFE mini web server to upload the firmware.

This somewhat explains how: https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1000814/

Myself I just put router in recovery mode then launch web browser to 192.168.1.1 and use the CFE mini web server instead of the rescue tool.

You need to put router in recovery mode then use the recovery tool or launch web browser then use the CFE mini web server to upload the firmware.

Myself I just put router in recovery mode then launch web browser to 192.168.1.1 and use the CFE mini web server instead of the rescue tool.
thank you soo soo much dawg! you rock

Firmware Restoration.png

Now I'm connected @ 866 MHz again using Smart Connect

Now I'm connected @ 866 MHz again using Smart Connect

Good news!
Which firmware did you revert to to?
Beta Version 9.0.0.4.380.2697 or the last one before the beta (i.e. Version 3.0.0.4.380.1355)?

I went back to the beta version (after comparing the release notes of the last official release [not including the one that was pulled] and the release notes of the beta version).

Last edited:

Using this method is it possible to downgrade to some Merlin`s Build?

Thanks

Good news!
Which firmware did you revert to to?
Beta Version 9.0.0.4.380.2697 or the last one before the beta (i.e. Version 3.0.0.4.380.1355)?

I went back to the beta version (after comparing the release notes of the last official release [not including the one that was pulled] and the release notes of the beta version).

Thanks
never installing Merlin builds ever again personally. From my past experience with the AC88U, AC3200, and the AC5300, the Merlin builds always make my laptop disconnect even after doing a full reset for the router. They offer me nothing but instability and no performance gains like in the past with the AC68U where the Merlin Build was miles better than stock ASUS firmware.

No offense to Merlin, he is doing a great job but lately his firmwares are not for me. just my 2 cents worth

Thanks

Yes, I downgraded from to 380.3341 to Merlin 380.59 using Asus firmware restoration tool. By the way, downgrading with Asus tool kept all my configuration parameters.

Last edited:
Thanks.
Out of curiosity, did you have any issues with the beta firmware or you simply prefer not to use beta firmwares so you did not even try it?

Before this Fw that was pulled out i was using the beta one, very good one

One question

After making the FW restore with restoration tool should we make a hardware reset and config all over again? I know that the router comes configured but just to klnow if it`s better

@RMerlin What do you think?

Thanks

Thanks.
Out of curiosity, did you have any issues with the beta firmware or you simply prefer not to use beta firmwares so you did not even try it?
I did try it before it was fine, but nothing special over the latest stable build and as you assumed, I don't like the idea of BETA especially when it comes to firmwares.

One question

After making the FW restore with restoration tool should we make a hardware reset and config all over again? I know that the router comes configured but just to klnow if it`s better

@RMerlin What do you think?

Thanks
It is recommended by Merlin but I never did it as I have a lot of firewall entries that I don't want to re-configure and never had an issue.

I did try it before it was fine, but nothing special over the latest stable build and as you assumed, I don't like the idea of BETA especially when it comes to firmwares.

I am frustrated.
I bought this router for two reasons
1) faster wifi speed (this goal was handily exceeded)
2) SmartConnect - my four Roku 3s and one Roku stick have issues connecting (at all) to wifi when SmartConnect is on. As soon as I disable Smart Connect, they connect INSTANTLY. :mad:

Known issue without a solution:
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/roku-rt-ac3200s-smart-connect.29923/

Per my follow up post, 4 of 5 Roku units are now working consistently in terms of connecting to the RT-AC5300 even with Smart Connect enabled.
One of these 5 Rokus - o lucky 1 is being stubborn and still it connecting, 1 always worked, 2 or 3 required a hard reset and / or turning off Smart Connect, connecting and then reenabling Smart Connect.

Last edited:
I am frustrated.
I bought this router for two reasons
1) faster wifi speed (this goal was handily exceeded)
2) SmartConnect - my four Roku 3s and one Roku stick have issues connecting (at all) to wifi when SmartConnect is on. As soon as I disable Smart Connect, they connect INSTANTLY. :mad:

Known issue without a solution:
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/roku-rt-ac3200s-smart-connect.29923/
we will have to wait for the next firmware update which I am hoping they fix their stupid unreliable Smart Connect

we will have to wait for the next firmware update which I am hoping they fix their stupid unreliable Smart Connect

Smart Connect is a hack at best. There's nothing that can be "fixed", some clients will always have compatibility issues with it, because it's just Broadcom trying to be clever, dancing around official specifications.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!