What's new

Unable to download

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sammyano

Regular Contributor
Hello guys,
Since couple of days or so now I am unable to download anything, even though am connected to the internet and can browser, my son can play PS4, but also cannot update or download anything. I have contacted my Internet provider to see if anything was blocking my service but they couldn't find any issue from there end.
Am on Merlin 378.55 version
Asus DDNS - enabled
OpenDNS - DNS Server as opposed to automatic DNS server
Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs = NO
Firewall - Network Services Filter = enabled to disconnect Internet from certain times
I have not changed or added any new features or settings on the router, except turning off Parental Controls to use Firewall - Network Services Filter
Please will appreciate any suggestions to help trouble shoot.

thanks

Which router do you have? Either go with the default DNS Server from your ISP or downgrade the DNS Filter server you're using (ie don't use the OpenDNS Family, Norton Children or Yandex.DNS Family ones). Also, if you have the RT-AC3200 as I do, check that your Parental Controls, AiProtection - Web & Apps Filters weren't accidentally turned on.

I have your issue with my kids computers, I don't want them "accidentally" downloading the latest viral videos from their "friends" random websites. It's a bit of a pain when I run update checkers like FileHippo or Patch My PC Updater, but worth the peace of mind.

Am using AC66U with Opendns Home, for years now with no problems,what do you mean by downgrade the DNS Filter server. PS - My DNS Filtering is disabled.

Last edited:
Am using AC66U with Opendns Home, for years now with no problems,what do you mean by downgrade the DNS Filter server. PS - My DNS Filtering is disabled.
When I said downgrade the DNS Filter server I meant that if you are using, for example Norton Children, use Norton Family or Safe instead.

You could try using the Google DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) instead of the OpenDNS (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220), other than that, you could try doing a factory reset and entering all your settings again (something that should be done every update). If you do a factory reset, don't do a restore of your settings, you would nullify the reset if the issue is a rogue setting.

When I said downgrade the DNS Filter server I meant that if you are using, for example Norton Children, use Norton Family or Safe instead.

You could try using the Google DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) instead of the OpenDNS (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220), other than that, you could try doing a factory reset and entering all your settings again (something that should be done every update). If you do a factory reset, don't do a restore of your settings, you would nullify the reset if the issue is a rogue setting.

Thanks for your comment, I did a reset the time I upgraded to. 55 FW, it's a bit wired as everything was working fine from day one and all of a sudden I noticed am unable to update my Apple devices, download anything on both laptop etc, will do another reset to see, as it doesn't make sense that I have internet connect but can't download over my network both wired and wireless

Did you try connecting straight to the modem and bypass the router ?

Thanks guys, I reset to factor default and started added back my settings one after another but could not find what was the issue that blocked downloading from my network. Anyways, all seems fine now, please if anyone has come cross such with answers to what blocked the download, should please let know to avoid same next time

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!