What's new

"Unknown" listed as device name on my rotuer's DHCP list

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Eldram

Regular Contributor
I have an Archer C8 wireless router. Most of my devices, when connected, show up on the DHCP list with the name I assigned them for easy recognition; for example I named my iPhone "Eldram's iPhone" and when its connected to the router I see it listed as such. Now, a few devices I own that I have assigned similar names show up as "Unknown" even though I have named them; specifically the family desktop PC (Windows 7) is called "Eldram Family PC", my PS3 is "Eldram's PS3" and similar nomenclature for my PS4. All these devices show up as "Unknown". What I noticed is that unlike my other wireless devices, these three items have static IP addresses that I personally assigned. Could that be the issue? Sorry if this seems trivial but I'm trying to learn as much as I can about my network environment and being able to easily distinguished my authorized devices on my network helps provide some peace of mind. Thanks!

If you are too worried about having an unknown device you can always delete the IP address from the router's DHCP pool and see what quit working. Once you figure out what quit working then you will know what it is.

It is best to use DHCP but if you want to assign static IP addresses independent of DHCP then don't use both. You can assign static IP addresses in DHCP if you always want your device to have the same IP address and still use DHCP.

You can also take the mac address associated with that mystery IP and lookup in google. That should give you the device manufacturer which might help as well.

You can also take the mac address associated with that mystery IP and lookup in google. That should give you the device manufacturer which might help as well.
Thanks! I did this and turns out it was my PS4 in Rest Mode :p No harm, no foul.

If you are too worried about having an unknown device you can always delete the IP address from the router's DHCP pool and see what quit working. Once you figure out what quit working then you will know what it is.

It is best to use DHCP but if you want to assign static IP addresses independent of DHCP then don't use both. You can assign static IP addresses in DHCP if you always want your device to have the same IP address and still use DHCP.

How can I do that? For example, give my PS3 a static IP while still able to use DHCP? And why is DHCP better than using static IPs?

How can I do that? For example, give my PS3 a static IP while still able to use DHCP? And why is DHCP better than using static IPs?

Your router will have a place to assign statics after they get a DHCP IP address or it could be called setting a reservation on DHCP where a MAC address always is assigned the same DHCP IP address. You are simply using DHCP to assign the same IP address to a given MAC address.

Your router will have a place to assign statics after they get a DHCP IP address or it could be called setting a reservation on DHCP where a MAC address always is assigned the same DHCP IP address. You are simply using DHCP to assign the same IP address to a given MAC address.
Found it! Thanks again; I've learned so much from this forum. You guys are the best!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!