What's new

Update Router or not

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hap

New Around Here
Been using a Cisco/ Linksys RVS4000 4 port Gigabit Security Router with VPN for a very long time with no issues, was wondering if I should update or just keep using what works. Thanks
Hap

Been using a Cisco/ Linksys RVS4000 4 port Gigabit Security Router with VPN for a very long time with no issues, was wondering if I should update or just keep using what works. Thanks
Hap
I believe from reading pass post on this issue, if I want updates on a router not supported than I need a new router or I'm on my own. Sig updates are important for any devices. Now the question becomes buy which one for home use with good protection. It doesn't need to be wireless since I already have two wireless (main and extended) connected to this router

In general, you should not run unsupported devices, especially network infrastructure or Internet of Things.

However, wired routers are a little bit different if your device is actually securable, i.e. no open services run by the router itself or unknown open ports and preferably it has at least Management VLAN support so that no other devices on your network can access the router management interface.

Replacement options depends on Internet connection, usage and budget.

Last edited:

Might be time to look for a replacement...

It's been End of Sale/Support/Life for a while now...

There's always the RV-345P, but it's a bit spendy, one might also consider the EdgeRouter-Lite which is similar in performance and capability for a much lower price.

The Microtik HEX is similar there...