What's new

Upgrade from AC-66U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HerbM

New Around Here
Hi,

Haven't been here in a while. I have an AC-66U (not B1) that is getting a little long in the tooth. It's served me well, but I'd like something with a faster CPU and possibly more ports. All the reviews on Amazon have scared me off ANY router ;). I also know WiFi 6 routers are coming, but I'm not sure if I'd be gaining much by waiting.

Would you replace a 66U now or wait? If so, what's your recommendation?

Thanks!

Most home wireless routers only have 4 LAN ports. If you restrict your choices to those that have more it will be a very limited selection. Probably best to ignore that in your decision making process and if what you end up with doesn't have enough ports then just buy a simple switch to sit next to it.

Rather than thinking "what should I upgrade to?" it might be wise to think what it is that your current router doesn't do (or you're unhappy with). For example, having a faster CPU won't improve your wireless coverage. How fast is your internet connection? Do you want to run a VPN on the router? How many clients do you have? etc. ,etc.

Sorry for not giving more information. I would most definitely like to run a VPN. I currently have 12 wireless devices. I already added a TP-Link EAP225 AP to get a better signal in the master bedroom - the furthest room from the 66U. I also have a 24 port switch, so ports are down on the list, I just wanted to streamline and reduce clutter ;)

Hi,

Haven't been here in a while. I have an AC-66U (not B1) that is getting a little long in the tooth. It's served me well, but I'd like something with a faster CPU and possibly more ports. All the reviews on Amazon have scared me off ANY router ;). I also know WiFi 6 routers are coming, but I'm not sure if I'd be gaining much by waiting.

Would you replace a 66U now or wait? If so, what's your recommendation?

Thanks!

Wait a year or so, if you can. Otherwise...

Amazon US is selling the 86U for $155 today:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0752FD3XJ/?tag=snbforums-20

It's near current ac hardware, near best WiFi range, hardware encryption for near best VPN, and it's getting cheaper. (Your existing 66U will not do AiMesh.)

Add/AiMesh a second 86U for extended WiFi coverage and hardware backup. I'd shop a 2-pack bundle for this during upcoming holiday sales.

OE

Reactions: a5m
I would most definitely like to run a VPN.

Then for VPN on a router you have 2 choices only - RT-AC86U and RT-AX88U. Both are supported by Asuswrt-Merlin and you need that firmware in order to use fully and configure properly your VPN connection(s). Both routers are capable of >200Mbps speeds through OpenVPN. I can see up to 270Mbps on a local NordVPN server, for example.

I'm also running an AC66U and since it is rock solid and enough for my current fiber (100/100) subscription, I'm keeping it until my "dream" replacement comes out.

I would recommend you wait for the adequate model to come out and upgrade then. If you have more than 4 LAN ports and already have a switch, you don't need a router with lots of ports. If you want next gen WiFi and want to stay with Asus, check the upcoming Asus models and if Merlin will support them. Then chose the most adequate one when they start to be available.

Last edited:
I'm keeping it until my "dream" replacement comes out.

Marc, you already have good quality components. Get the Ubiquiti USG to complete your system, it's only about $150 or so. It's not a lot of money in France. Not the best, not the fastest, but looks good and fits well to what you already have. That "dream" router may never come. Get yourself a Christmas present and enjoy. Keep the RT-AC66U configured as a backup router/WiFi.

Marc, you already have good quality components. Get the Ubiquiti USG to complete your system, it's only about $150 or so. It's not a lot of money in France. Not the best, not the fastest, but looks good and fits well to what you already have. That "dream" router may never come. Get yourself a Christmas present and enjoy. Keep the RT-AC66U configured as a backup router/WiFi.

Eh, if have to going down the Ubnt route, I would rather recommend the Edge series rather than the Unifi (where USG belongs) series. Unifi is good to look at with it fancy GUI and looks good on paper for the 'pro-sumer' tier (while originally advertised as enterprises, kinda still do), but it honestly feels like perpetual beta product. Good side is features keep get updated while the Unifi Controller continue to evolve, bad side - lots of long existing bug/promised feature never came out of closet. The Unifi 'wireless' product where it all begins are good, but anything else, is subpar for the price IMHO. While the XG (10Gb) seems fitting for a nitch segment, again, if you're looking for a 'dumb' switch (a ted better than a hub) it okay, doing anything for, will find it limiting soon. Plus the additional hardware requirement for the Unifi Controller software with the added power consumption is really not worth the effort for home use. Some may argue installing on the same PC you work would be fine, but you loose any logging while the PC is off, a bad trade off. Plus, the Windows version is lot less desirable than the Linux version if you want stability.

I was really disappointed with Unifi after 3-years, consider the original author of pfSense is working heavily on the Ubnt team for awhile, but I think it would be still some years to go, for the Unifi line to mature.