What's new

UPS with Synology NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bodean

Very Senior Member
I have a Cyberpower 900AVR.
Right now, the USB goes from the UPS to my computer. Do I want to instead have the USB go from the UPS to the NAS?

I have a 1500VA UPS. It runs my PC, NAS, Ethernet switch, router.
I'd like to have it plugged into the NAS to cause a graceful shutdown, but I haven't yet done so. Don't know if my UPS is supported in the Synology DSM- some are. Mostly APC. Mine's CyberPower.

The low cost UPS don't have a LAN interface with which to signal all PCs, NAS, etc., to shutdown. I've seen hacked software for a PC to take the UPC's USB notice and broadcast it as UDP on a LAN to other PCs to cause a shutdown. But haven't seen, not sure I want hackware on the NAS itself to be the master.

So, it's messy.

On a QNAP you can have the NAS connected via USB to send messages to another NAS via the LAN.

I use this to have two NAS devices plugged into a single APC UPS.

There might be an option on the Synology to the same thing and have a connection via the LAN to the PC.

The Synology NAS (and, I suppose, others) can connect by USB to a low end UPS (such as my 1500W one). At power failure, the NAS gets via USB a notice. The NAS can then send via ethernet LAN (if switches/routers are on UPS), a notice to other same-brand NASes to shut down.

I'm looking for the data format used for this.

Independent of the above, there is an SNMP MIB for UPSes. Such is mentioned in Synology's user guide, but no mention of the MIB standard. Perhaps proprietary.
I found an SNMP MIB mentino in HP's UPSes - and it says "HP MIB".

Is there an industry standard?

Last edited:
I have a Cyberpower 900AVR.
Right now, the USB goes from the UPS to my computer. Do I want to instead have the USB go from the UPS to the NAS?
You connect the UPS to whichever device you want to receive notice that power has been lost and that can also do something with the information, i.e. initiate a clean shutdown.

I have a APC Back-UPS ES 700 (BE700G-GR) which is connected via USB to my Synology DS1511+. Under the UPS I keep the NAS, the router and the cable-modem.

At the beginning of the summer I simulated a power outage by disconnecting the power plug from the socket. The NAS did not shut down itself after entering safe mode, it just waited for the UPS to switch off due to battery exaustion.

How do you properly configure the NAS to do a shutdown when the battery is running low?

Is there a reason why the DiskStation doesn't fully shutdown? When I read the help file it says, "When the DiskStation enters Safe Mode, it stops all services and unmounts volumes in order to prevent data loss and shut down safely when the UPS device runs out of power." This appears to correspond to the observed behaviour where the NAS enter safe mode by stopping all the services and unmounting all the disks, so that it is safe to lose power.

Do you know of a reason why Synology chose to not then finish the job and shutdown completely instead of waiting for the remaining power to be abruptly cut off?

If it was safe to cut the power to the Diskstation why on earth in the logs it will say "System booted up from improper shutdown"? It sounds like the Synology does not properly shutdown with that option if I receive that log. the Synology starts a disk check too.

Last edited:
On the Synology forum I found this email that support wrote to a guy on the topic:

when DS enter safe mode, then it will send a command to UPS to ask it to shutdown, so DS will shutdown with it, this is how some user may require the function, however if you do not require the function, then please do not enable it, however if DS enter save mode and UPS run on batter mode, then once UPS gain power, the DS will stuck on safe mode and will require manual reboot"