What's new

vpn not correct working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nemesis122

Occasional Visitor
Hi all

First sorry for my english its not my main language.:eek:
I have upgraded from my rtn66u(firmeware 3.0.0.4.374.34_2) to AC68u(firmware RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_374.37_0)and the problem is with the ac68u the VPN PPTP is not correct working!
1 ) the connection is working without any issues only i can not connect to network drives as example :mybooklive or Qnap 419 P .(error message server not found)
2) i have flashed other firmewares from merlin and asus no change to connect the network drives over the VPN with the router AC68u)
3) i have compared the settings from my old router (rtn66u) all settings are the same and the VPN is working fine with my old router !

here is the logfile from the router the strange thing is i have the same error message in the rtn66u and ac68 pls note on my old router the rtn66u the vpn working great.

Log :
Jan 9 18:26:49 pptp[1049]: Using interface ppp10
Jan 9 18:26:49 pptp[1049]: Connect: ppp10 <--> pptp (194.230.155.210)
Jan 9 18:26:53 pptp[1049]: MPPE 128-bit stateless compression enabled
Jan 9 18:26:56 pptp[1049]: Cannot determine ethernet address for proxy ARP

Anyone idea what is wrong with the ac68u or the firmeware.
I think in this case is not the error message the reason because both device has this error message and the RTN66u Works perfect.

thank you very much for your help.

found setting in the rtn66u

I have found on the setting page under WAN setting this option on the rt-n66u this :

PPTP Passthrough "enabled"
@ac68u user is there also this setting for the ac68u and i have seperate to enable it for the Ac68u ?

thanks for feedback.
Best regards
Michael

Last edited:
maybe i found the problem

i have changed the vpn client ip range and the dhcp range and the error message is gone ont the rt-n66u :

Jan 9 22:09:10 pptp[1204]: found interface br0 for proxy arp:)

the issue for this error message was the default settings from asus are not correct for VPN :eek:

here is the solution stolen from RMerlin the Asus Master :D for all who have this problem .
(sorry Mister Merlin i found this answer in the asus forum):)
Best is to modify the DHCP range to only handle 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.199,
then configure VPN clients to allocate address in the 192.168.1.200 to 192.168.1.210 range.
That way VPN clients will be able to directly route to your LAN.

I will try on Monday this on the RT68u and hope this will fix the issue that i can connect to the network drives

Best Regards

Michael