What's new

Which NAS to choose?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tomovich

New Around Here
Hello

I am looking for a NAS to do the stuff mentioned below and I've read a lot of good things about the Synology NAS systems. I've also seen that they are easy to use and set up.

I am planning to use the NAS for the following things:
  • downloading torrents
  • storage for my movies which I will play on my DuneHD
  • storage for all other files which I must have access to from different pcs
  • to put my iPhoto library on
  • to put my iTunes library (Apple lossless files) on and to play my music from it on different systems (in the future also a Sonos system)
  • automatic backup from the different pcs onto the NAS (no Time Machine)
  • automatic backup of the NAS onto an external HD
  • connect to the NAS from other places
  • RSS: serving as some sort of feedbin/feed wrangler (if possible)

I have enough storage with 6Tb. I've seen that there are NAS with 2 slots and others with 4 slots. What's the advantage of having 4 slots? And what RAID version is best to use?
Also, some NAS boxes have 2 gigabit ethernet connections, why is that?

Is it possible to view movies on a Samsung Smart tv directly from the NAS? So without needing my DuneHD?

In some NAS boxes there is a 2 year license of McAfee antivirus included, is that needed on a NAS?

What Synology NAS do you recommend?

Thanks!

2 ethernet interfaces... for super high performance or for two WAN (Internet) interfaces for speed/fail-over. Not needed for home use.

Security software on NAS.. I don't do so. I use Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE), free, on PCs to scan downloads and emails. I don't allow uploads to the NAS from the Internet except by my own stringent access methods

Sounds like a 2 bay NAS would be fine. 2 x 3TB drives. I chose in mine to not use RAID (RAID is not a backup), but have the 2nd drive be an independent volume, receiving time backups from the first drive.
AND I use a USB3 external drive to do daily backups of VIP folders.

Plus, I broke the habit of storing data on PCs' disks rather than the NAS.

Automatic backup of PCs... with the above, all you need to do is image or clone the PC disks once a month or so as VIP data is on the NAS, not the PC. I use Acronis True Image for imaging (to the NAS) and cloning (to a cheap 2nd spare drive- better than imaging in terms of fast recovery from a virus). The NASes come with file backup, not drive imaging software. I chose to use Centered Systems' SecondCopy software. Used it for years.

Mine's a Synology 2 bay (DS212). Synology's model numbers depict the age of the product design, e.g., DS212 was a year 2012 release. Their 'j' suffix depict a slower CPU. I've found that CPU speed isn't critical; a 0.8 GHz vs. 1.2GHz won't be noticeable for most uses.

Last edited:
I use a 1512+, which is a 5 bay. All of what Steve said is exactly right, I would add that although Raid is not a backup, it does provide a level of protection against drive failure. It does NOT provide protection against NAS failure, it is a little computer after all.

A 4 or 5 bay adds flexibility is all, and room for expansion later if you want that.

As for the dual Ethernet, I have mine set up with Link Aggregation to ensure I get the most speed possible (they are bonded together as one link). Useful if I'm moving a lot of data, streaming to several sources inside and outside my network, and I'm a bit geeky that way so I wanted to do it, lol.

Keep in mind you need a managed or smart switch to accomplish the above.

My 2 pennies.

like canuckle I have the 5 bay 1512+.
First syno was the 210+ which I sold to a buddy & he loves it!
I wanted more drive capacity & with it the ability to add 2 external 5 drive enclosures as well down the road for a total of 15 hdd's!!!

Anyway, there is a FREE syno antivirus app & there is paid too.

I use my syno for everything you mentioned in your list; That is backed up to crashplan on the internet so I have true backup for my critical data.
Family pictures, movies etc... What if your hose burns down or a robber steals the box? I am covered as far as anything onsite goes. I replace the nas, configure crashplan & tell it to restore over the internet.
:)

Your tv will dictate how much you can or cannot watch directly from the nas.
I have found that the LG TV's do not license dts so they cant decode dts.
Your Dune is a sweet box; I have 2 popcorn hours which are similar in what they can do.
No tv today will be able to match the dune so I suggest sticking with that.

You will LOVE the synology box. Worst thing about them is the price.
You pay top tier, you get top tier in OS. There are some other good NAS makers out there and some even offer more cpu horse power for the money but no other NAS is as good overall with performance AND user interface.

Good luck!