What's new

Which router to buy for openVPN usage? 92U or 86U or 56U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tanni

New Around Here
Hi everybody,

I want to buy a router which can handle >100Mbit/s via the openVPN protocol and I have the following three models in mind:

1. ASUS RT-AX92U (dual core 1.8ghz CPU)
2. ASUS RT-AC86U (dual core 1.8ghz CPU)
3. RT-AX56U (quad core 1.5ghz CPU)

I basically don't need anything else except the openVPN capability, so I don't care about WiFi speed, range or software features. The only thing I'm looking for is security. I would also disable the AI/Trendmicro stuff, because I don't want it to send stuff to Trendmicro servers.
  • Currently I'm favoring the 92U but it is not supported by merlin wrt, so I'm worried that the ASUS original firmware will have an outdated openVPN protocol version (which I read is the case for some of the company's models).
  • The 86U is just a few bucks cheaper than the 92U in my country and it isn't as future proof (WPA3, WiFi 6, etc) as the A92U BUT it is merlin wrt supported and has the same powerful CPU.
  • The 56U is a bit cheaper but I'm worried that the CPU power is not enough since I've read the openVPN protocol is quite heavy on the CPU. Also it is not merlin wrt supported. However, compared to the 86U it is WiFi 6 capable.
Any input/help?

Last edited:
Hi everybody,

I want to buy a router which can handle >100Mbit/s via the openVPN protocol and I have the following three models in mind:

?

Do you want to run a VPN client or VPN server?

Processor speed isn't the entire key. The processor also needs to have the AES-NI capability.

The AC86 will handle multiple VPN clients in excess of 200 Mbps with the limit being what your VPN provider can handle. No first hand experience with other routers mentioned.

3. RT-AX56U (tri core 1.5ghz CPU)

On this list RT-AC86U is the only one with Asuswrt-Merlin support. This firmware will help you to fine tune your VPN connection. I personally wouldn't recommend you RT-AC86U due to multiple software (and perhaps, hardware) issues. Go for RT-AX88U instead. More expensive, but more stable and with Asuswrt-Merlin support also.

If your idea is to run network-wide VPN Client on a router, then you should know it is not exactly convenient. It has some pros and some serious cons. Think twice before you spend money on an expensive router. Also, security you may get only in case you run your own VPN Server. With commercial VPNs you just trust one company more than another.

Go for RT-AX88U instead. More expensive, but more stable and with Asuswrt-Merlin support also.

I can support also this opinion, as long as you can afford the price difference. Note that the AX88U does have also more memory and cores, plus better connectivity (4 additional ethernet ports), so it will support better / longer heavy tasks that consume more resources (like more simultaneous vpn clients) even if max speed will be approx the same as with the AC86. Check also the form factor. It could be important depending on your installation. (86 is a vertical unit, where the 88 has been designed as a flat unit).

3. RT-AX56U (tri core 1.5ghz CPU)

3. RT-AX56U (tri core 1.5ghz CPU) - has 1.5GHz quad-core processor

Do you want to run a VPN client or VPN server?
I think what I want is to run a VPN client? I want to enter my credentials of a commercial VPN provider into the router such that everybody who is on the network will automatically use the VPN connection. That's the "client case" then, right?

I personally wouldn't recommend you RT-AC86U due to multiple software (and perhaps, hardware) issues. Go for RT-AX88U instead. More expensive, but more stable and with Asuswrt-Merlin support also
Could you please elaborate on said issues? The 88U is ~300 euros here, that is too expensive for me :/
If your idea is to run network-wide VPN Client on a router, then you should know it is not exactly convenient. It has some pros and some serious cons. Think twice before you spend money on an expensive router.
What cons come to your mind? I'm pretty new to the VPN-router game. The reason I want this setup is because I recently switched from Linux to Windows and almost all software/scripts for Linux of the VPN providers that I researched leaked data at some point. The provided software just does not seem to be as advanced as the windows clients. Thus, I want to have the VPN running right before data reaches my PC so that no such leaks can happen due to improper script configuration (or even my own inability). Furthermore even my smartphone would be using the VPN service without getting the heavy battery drain when running the software on the device itself.
And yes, I know that privacy-wise using a VPN might not be the real thing, but I for myself trust a VPN provider (perfect-privacy) way more than the cable company, which is known to store everything for months.

I can support also this opinion, as long as you can afford the price difference. Note that the AX88U does have also more memory and cores, plus better connectivity (4 additional ethernet ports), so it will support better / longer heavy tasks that consume more resources (like more simultaneous vpn clients) even if max speed will be approx the same as with the AC86. Check also the form factor. It could be important depending on your installation. (86 is a vertical unit, where the 88 has been designed as a flat unit).
The router will maybe be placed underneath a bed, so a flat unit might be the better choice. However, like I wrote above, the U88 is too pricey for me. Couldn't I just put the U86 flat on the ground? But even if not.. Then I would just put it elsewhere.. Only 2 people will be using the Internet at the same time, so I really don't think I would need that additional performance.

3. RT-AX56U (tri core 1.5ghz CPU) - has 1.5GHz quad-core processor
You are correct, thanks!

Thanks everybody for your input so far!

Could you please elaborate on said issues?

This router suffers from low memory conditions when specific firmware components are enabled together (that means you have to know what you can use and when) and also doesn't always boot properly after soft reboot (that means it may require physical access to the router during reboots). All the issues with RT-AC86U are discussed multiple times here on SNB. Low memory conditions have some remedies, but not the reboot issue:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac86u-sometimes-powers-completely-off-during-reboot.48296/

What cons come to your mind?

VPN Client on the router (with Asuswrt stock firmware):
- Switching per device connections between VPN and WAN is not possible
- Switching per device to a different VPN server is not possible
- Different devices using different VPN servers is not possible
- No choice what device uses VPN and what WAN, VPN is ON or OFF for the entire network
- No Kill Switch, it's difficult to tell if the VPN is up or down

Asuswrt-Merlin firmware VPN settings allow more options and control, but needs reading/knowledge to setup properly and a router supported by Asuswrt-Merlin. That means from high performance VPN routers you have 2 choices only - RT-AC86U or RT-AX88U. The first one is far from perfect, the second one is better, but very expensive.

Only 2 people will be using the Internet at the same time

So why bother with VPN on the router? Just run VPN on the 2 devices. Most commercial VPN providers allow 3-6 devices connected in the same time on the same account. And don't forget, most commercial VPN providers don't really guarantee you any protection if you plan to use the VPN for illegal activities (like torrenting copyright material, for example). There is no such thing as "perfect privacy". Your ISP knows you use VPN and knows which one, your VPN provider knows what your ISP is, your ISP has your IP and your physical address. It's not extremely difficult to track the connections if needed/requested.

Last edited:
Thus, I want to have the VPN running right before data reaches my PC so that no such leaks can happen due to improper script configuration (or even my own inability).

Just install the software, activate the Kill Switch. VPN software (most I've seen) uses a virtual network interface and it cuts down the data transfers the moment the tunnel goes down. Millions of users tested it before you on this very same VPN provider, don't worry about it.

Furthermore even my smartphone would be using the VPN service without getting the heavy battery drain when running the software on the device itself.

I'm sure you have a charger at home. When you are outside the App on the phone will give you the option to use the same VPN everywhere (on the mobile network or on someone else's WiFi), not just at home. Or get a power bank for $15. It's 10 times cheaper than RT-AC86U router.

VPN Client on the router (with Asuswrt stock firmware):
- Switching per device connections between VPN and WAN is not possible
- Switching per device to a different VPN server is not possible
- Different devices using different VPN servers is not possible
- No choice what device uses VPN and what WAN, VPN is ON or OFF for the entire network
- No Kill Switch, it's difficult to tell if the VPN is up or down
Thanks for the info!
However, according to this link https://www.vpnuniversity.com/routers/use-selectivepolicy-routing-kill-switch-asuswrt-merlin kill switch is supported!?

Just install the software, activate the Kill Switch. VPN software (most I've seen) uses a virtual network interface and it cuts down the data transfers the moment the tunnel goes down. Millions of users tested it before you on this very same VPN provider, don't worry about it.
Well, that's the thing. I've checked the Linux software for most of the good VPN providers and from what I remember only NordVPN had a killswitch option. So with VPN running on a router I would be less dependent of the provider and could choose my favorite one.

In Asuswrt-Merlin, not Asuswrt.
Ahh, true!

But according to this link here https://translate.google.de/translate?sl=de&tl=en&u=https://vpn-anbieter-vergleich-test.de/anleitung-asus-router-loesung-fuer-vpn-trennung-erkennen-killswitch/ it seems to be easily doable via firewall settings if you just
1. activate firewall
2. activate LAN-to-WAN filter
3. set filter table type to "white list"

Or does this method come with any restrictions? This feature is absolute crucial, I think.

I have to admit that you've almost conviced me to use the software instead and not buy a router. I just want to find a final good reason to do so ;)

PS:
Can you tell me if asuswrt / asuswrt-merlin support auto-reconnect when the connection drops? My findings on this topic are contradictive. I've read a thread in this forum ( https://www.snbforums.com/threads/is-it-possible-to-reconnect-vpn-automatically.17035/ ) that it is working but on another german forum I've read on a more recent thread (from 2017 afaik) that it is not working. And I couldn't find any info on the original asuswrt.

Agree with @Val D. here.... All this trouble, you might just better off with end-point based solution. What you want to achieve in an ideal world, these Asus router are nice and do offer the option (provide supported by the RMerlin firmware), but far from the most ideal equipment to do so.

And for privacy reason, using a commercial VPN to hide your activity just ain't going to cut it either. If you ever visit a data centre with an engineer and see how everything works, you're really putting too much faith... And when a court order do comes, who do you think will handover the access quicker? An established reputable ISP, or a VPN company? Provide you have to trust that VPN company do everything as advertise of 'no logging'. To even remotely stay anonymous over the internet at 80% is a hard thing to do. For privacy reason, to centralize VPN usage over router for home use just isn't really ideal.

Can you tell me if asuswrt / asuswrt-merlin support auto-reconnect when the connection drops?

Yes, connect on boot + re-connect + kill switch + policy rules + VPN settings exposed, i.e. full control. It depends on what your VPN provider allows as settings though. Some VPN providers don't work on routers, some don't allow cipher modifications, some limit X re-connect attempts, most limit connection speed, etc.

Hi everybody,

3. RT-AX56U (quad core 1.5ghz CPU)

I basically don't need anything else except the openVPN capability, so I don't care about WiFi speed, range or software features. The only thing I'm looking for is security. I would also disable the AI/Trendmicro stuff, because I don't want it to send stuff to Trendmicro servers.
  • Currently I'm favoring the 92U but it is not supported by merlin wrt, so I'm worried that the ASUS original firmware will have an outdated openVPN protocol version (which I read is the case for some of the company's models).
  • The 86U is just a few bucks cheaper than the 92U in my country and it isn't as future proof (WPA3, WiFi 6, etc) as the A92U BUT it is merlin wrt supported and has the same powerful CPU.
  • The 56U is a bit cheaper but I'm worried that the CPU power is not enough since I've read the openVPN protocol is quite heavy on the CPU. Also it is not merlin wrt supported. However, compared to the 86U it is WiFi 6 capable.
Any input/help?

Maybe the AX models will get Merlin support one day? The 56U sounds like it will be popular due to features and price.