What's new

Who can help me figure out my PS4 disconnections and lag?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jaisunny

Occasional Visitor
Have a AC86U and the PS4 upstairs often lags or disconnects completely via wifi. My son is very upset as he keeps losing points on games, he's pretty good at some games and plays in tournaments. No other device in the entire house does this, even when playing games on tablets right next to this PS4, never have any problems at all only this PS4.

We live in a small terraced 2 bedroom house. The AC86U is downstairs in the living room in the corner at the front of the house. Sons PS4 is in the back bedroom at the back of the house. WIFI signal is full bars on both 2.4 and 4 bars out of 5 on 5.0ghz. Doesn't matter which one we choose it often lags like crazy and/or disconnects very often.

I do have a N66U i could maybe stick in my bedroom (bedroom next to sons ps4), haven't tried that yet, but Im not sure it would solve anything if the signal strength is fine as it is.

I understand the PS4 has a awful wifi setup. Going wired is a option, but not without a lot of work...ie... Feeding lan cables through the attic and down into his bedroom. We want to use wifi if possible.

We have a PS4 downstairs that is wired and sits next to the router (my one). I never have any problems.

Could anyone help me get to the bottom of it? maybe some settings to adjust in the router? maybe fit the N66U in my bedroom as an extender or something else?

try your 66U in repeater mode and PS4 connected via LAN to it.

I have tried but same problem.

I was told the N66U in repeater mode should be placed in between the PS4 and the AC86U. The only place I can put the N66U is 2ft further away from the AC86U compared to the PS4. I was also told I'd lose something else, but forgot what now.

I think you mean AP mode, with a cable between 86U-LAN to 66U-WAN port.

No, I mean repeater mode (or bridge mode) with Wifi connection from 66U to 86U as you cant run a cable to the upstairs room with PS4.
In repeater mode you will have extended Wifi upstairs too from your 66U, in bridge mode you can only use its LAN ports.
So your 66U will be located near PS4, best place would be somehow nearer to 86U where you get good Wifi coverage from 86U and still able to run a cable to the PS4.

Either 66U in repeater mode with better upstairs Wifi and cable between 66U-LAN port to your PS4 - you could connect PS4 via Wifi to 66U too, but much better with LAN.
Or 66U in bridge mode and PS4 connected to it via LAN cable.

I think you mean AP mode, with a cable between 86U-LAN to 66U-WAN port.

No, I mean repeater mode (or bridge mode) with Wifi connection from 66U to 86U as you cant run a cable to the upstairs room with PS4.
In repeater mode you will have extended Wifi upstairs too from your 66U, in bridge mode you can only use its LAN ports.
So your 66U will be located near PS4, best place would be somehow nearer to 86U where you get good Wifi coverage from 86U and still able to run a cable to the PS4.

Either 66U in repeater mode with better upstairs Wifi and cable between 66U-LAN port to your PS4 - you could connect PS4 via Wifi to 66U too, but much better with LAN.
Or 66U in bridge mode and PS4 connected to it via LAN cable.
You're right.

I had this setup in media mode and I had the same intermittent disconnection/lagging problems.

So you suggest in repeater mode, 66U near PS4 and wired to the PS4? Any settings in either of the routers? I hear people keep mentioning DMZ.

forget DMZ, it is only a solution if you cant change your modem to bridge mode and need public IP.
Dont touch your master router, only done on 66U with mostly default values after changing to repeater-mode. Connect it via 2.4 or 5G (what available and strong enough) to main SSID of master, test which will be faster.

Right, change of plan. I now plan to run a 20M cat7 cable from bedroom 1 where a 10/100 switch is to bedroom 2 where the ps4 is. I will need to buy some D 1/4 corner trunking so I can hide the cable when it runs down the corner of the walls.

I will also get rid of the 10/100 switch as its too slow now and opt for a gigabit switch.

OR

Would the N66U be sufficient enough instead of the 10/100 switch I have or a gigabit switch? if so, which setup option should I use in the N66U? Bridge mode? repeater mode? I want the fastest most stable connection possible. Don't forget with this method It will be hard wired from the 86U. Would I also need any special LAN cable to connect from 86U to N66U? someone mentioned crossover.

Last edited:
no, never crossover (only used in the past between 2 PC but now internally solved).
Just an usual LAN cable, CAT5e will be well done (CAT6 wont be better for you but maybe same price today).

If 66U got 1Gb ports then it will be same as any other switch/hub.

LAN will always outperform Wifi and much more stable, go for it where possible!

no, never crossover (only used in the past between 2 PC but now internally solved).
Just an usual LAN cable, CAT5e will be well done (CAT6 wont be better for you but maybe same price today).

If 66U got 1Gb ports then it will be same as any other switch/hub.

LAN will always outperform Wifi and much more stable, go for it where possible!

Thanks.

So this is what i've done. I've removed the old 10/100 switch and put the N66U in its place, hardwired to the AC86U which is 5M away. The N66U is in AP mode (please advise if that causes any problems when connected to a PS4) and i've connected my CCTV and other lan cables to the N66U, can view the CCTV fine so assume is working ok. The N66U sits directly above the AC86U on the first floor. The PS4 is in the next room from the N66U. I have connected the PS4 wirelessly to the N66U 5.0ghz network and performed network test on the PS4. D and U speeds are notably much better. But the signal strength remains at 74% which it was when the PS4 connected directly to the AC86U which is downstairs.

Im going to see how this goes and if its still not right, i'll hardwire the PS4 to the N66U OR... frankly, I could hardwire it to the AC86U since its only an additional 5M away from the N66U. Either way, am I ok with leaving the N66U in AP mode? and how do I log back into the N66U while in AP mode? Tried but it always connects to the AC86U.

You have to use the IP from 66U to login to it! Best to set a fix IP on 86U for the MAC of 66U, so it wont change.
If you leave 66U upstairs it wont change anything to run cable from PS4 directly to 86U.
On the other side if you dont need 66U anymore and Wifi good enough upstairs, remove it. Better as few Wifi as possible but as much as needed.

You have to use the IP from 66U to login to it! Best to set a fix IP on 86U for the MAC of 66U, so it wont change.
If you leave 66U upstairs it wont change anything to run cable from PS4 directly to 86U.
On the other side if you dont need 66U anymore and Wifi good enough upstairs, remove it. Better as few Wifi as possible but as much as needed.

Right, son is playing the PS4 and he's lagging and getting disconnected within 5 minutes. Witnessed it myself this time as am hanging around to see if any problems arise.

Arghhh!!!

Im beginning to think the PS4 is faulty. I guess I could buy a 25M lan cable and lay it across the house before installing it properly, and see if the PS4 lags/disconnects and then go from there. The ps4 is under warranty till November I think, so I could raise a repair if it was faulty.

"Disconnected" from what? The wireless network, the internet, the game server?
So my son would be playing fortnite for example, it would lag and then freeze up, so he can't move around, he can only look around on the spot for a few mins. It would then kick him out of the game to the home menu and a message would come up saying something about check internet... Lost connection to internet. On other games it would just lag like crazy and then eventually correct itself.

As i say, it doesnt do it on the other ps4 in the house but thats hardwired, however when that one was wireless it also didnt have the issue, but it is 2 metres from the 86u.

Ive just gone onto the the sony website and did a problem solving check. Theyre saying the wifi signal strength needs to be at least 80% before proceeding with a ps4 repair claim. I am getting 74%.

I think i'll just order up a 25m lan cable and test it both from the N66u and ac86u to see the difference and see if theres any disconnections or lagging. If it persists then perhaps raise a ps4 repair with sony.

This ps4 hasn't been right since purchasing it, very slow load up times and often gets a corrupted database. Possibly bad hdd.

I think i'll just order up a 25m lan cable and test it both from the N66u and ac86u to see the difference and see if theres any disconnections or lagging.
This ps4 hasn't been right since purchasing it, very slow load up times and often gets a corrupted database. Possibly bad hdd.
2m or 50m wont make any difference with LAN connection.
Change your PS4 one by the other and you will see if failure will stay on the same unit or on same floor.
AND dont forget to seperately change power adapters in a different step of analysis, maybe only the adapter got wrong!

External cable for testing allways makes a lot of sense.

Last edited:
Good idea with the cable. Even if you don't trunk it through your walls it's always useful having a very long patch cable available for troubleshooting situations like this.

I'd also suggest that on another PC with a wired connection you open up a command prompt and run a continuous ping to the PS4. That way you can keep an eye on the quality of it's connection to your LAN and see if/when it disconnects. e.g.
Code:
C:\Users\Colin>ping -t 192.168.1.94

Pinging 192.168.1.94 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.94: bytes=32 time=37ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.1.94: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.1.94: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.1.94: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.1.94: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.1.94: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.1.94: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.1.94: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=128

Have a AC86U and the PS4 upstairs often lags or disconnects completely via wifi. My son is very upset as he keeps losing points on games, he's pretty good at some games and plays in tournaments. No other device in the entire house does this, even when playing games on tablets right next to this PS4, never have any problems at all only this PS4.

We live in a small terraced 2 bedroom house. The AC86U is downstairs in the living room in the corner at the front of the house. Sons PS4 is in the back bedroom at the back of the house. WIFI signal is full bars on both 2.4 and 4 bars out of 5 on 5.0ghz. Doesn't matter which one we choose it often lags like crazy and/or disconnects very often.

I do have a N66U i could maybe stick in my bedroom (bedroom next to sons ps4), haven't tried that yet, but Im not sure it would solve anything if the signal strength is fine as it is.

I understand the PS4 has a awful wifi setup. Going wired is a option, but not without a lot of work...ie... Feeding lan cables through the attic and down into his bedroom. We want to use wifi if possible.

We have a PS4 downstairs that is wired and sits next to the router (my one). I never have any problems.

Could anyone help me get to the bottom of it? maybe some settings to adjust in the router? maybe fit the N66U in my bedroom as an extender or something else?

I know what's going on with your PS4. Your son needs NAT Type 1. If you don't make PS4 to NAT Type 1 you can't play Fortnite. You see random disconnection and hell of lag. Setup your router for NAT Type 1 before you do cabling. Search about PS4 NAT 1 for ASUS rotuer. You will find it easily.
If it doesn't fix the connection at all do the cabling. Ehternet cabling is the only way. CAT.5E or higher would be great. Do not buy never heard of cheap cables. You know UPnP, Port Forwarding or DMZ right?

Questions.
1. Do you use IPTV?
2. Did you turn on IGMP Snooping for IPTV and Surveillance camera? You have to turn it on for WiFi.

Last edited:
2m or 50m wont make any difference with LAN connection.
Change your PS4 one by the other and you will see if failure will stay on the same unit or on same floor.
AND dont forget to seperately change power adapters in a different step of analysis, maybe only the adapter got wrong!

External cable for testing allways makes a lot of sense.

The ps4's in question use a figure of 8 power lead only. No adapters.

Good idea with the cable. Even if you don't trunk it through your walls it's always useful having a very long patch cable available for troubleshooting situations like this.

I'd also suggest that on another PC with a wired connection you open up a command prompt and run a continuous ping to the PS4. That way you can keep an eye on the quality of it's connection to your LAN and see if/when it disconnects. e.g.
Code:
C:\Users\Colin>ping -t 192.168.1.94

Pinging 192.168.1.94 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.94: bytes=32 time=37ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.1.94: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.1.94: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.1.94: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=128

I saw this mentioned when googling, haven't tried it yet though.

I know what's going on with your PS4. Your son needs NAT Type 1. If you don't make PS4 to NAT Type 1 you can't play Fortnite. You see random disconnection and hell of lag. Setup your router for NAT Type 1 before you do cabling. Search about PS4 NAT 1 for ASUS rotuer. You will find it easily.
If it doesn't fix the connection at all do the cabling. Ehternet cabling is the only way. CAT.5E or higher would be great. Do not buy never heard of cheap cables. You know UPnP, Port Forwarding or DMZ right?

Questions.
1. Do you use IPTV?
2. Did you turn on IGMP Snooping for IPTV and Surveillance camera? You have to turn it on for WiFi.

Interesting, but the PS4 downstairs is NAT 2 with zero issues on fortnite. The internet is definitely worse on fortnite as it lags like mad, often kicks you out to the main menu, whereas other games will randomly lag. Yes I use IPTV, I didn't turn on IGMP as not sure what it is.

Ok guys, superb advice here.

CAT7 arrived today from amazon, opted for a £13.99 one instead as had excellent reviews. I've fitted it temporarily into the router in bedroom 1 and fed it into bedroom 2 and my son has been playing the PS4 without a single glitch today. This looks promising. Im going to leave it across the floor until, say, Sunday and if theres still no lagging, glitches or disconnections.. It will be safe to say problem solved. I have decided to sell the N66U though, as they're still worth up to £40 used, I will buy a 5 port gigabit switch instead as they're only around £10. If problem is solved by Sunday, i'll be feeding the cable into the attic from bedroom 1 across and then down into bedroom 2. Fingers crossed I get no more moaning kids. Haha.

Ok guys, superb advice here.

CAT7 arrived today from amazon, opted for a £13.99 one instead as had excellent reviews. I've fitted it temporarily into the router in bedroom 1 and fed it into bedroom 2 and my son has been playing the PS4 without a single glitch today. This looks promising. Im going to leave it across the floor until, say, Sunday and if theres still no lagging, glitches or disconnections.. It will be safe to say problem solved. I have decided to sell the N66U though, as they're still worth up to £40 used, I will buy a 5 port gigabit switch instead as they're only around £10. If problem is solved by Sunday, i'll be feeding the cable into the attic from bedroom 1 across and then down into bedroom 2. Fingers crossed I get no more moaning kids. Haha.
Did you try the N66 in repeater mode, if so what were your results?