What's new

Why would RT-AC87U NOT auto-update to latest firmware?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chugbug

Occasional Visitor
Hello All,

I just setup an RT-AC87U router. The install went without a hitch, and at the end of the setup, it ask if I wanted to auto-update the firmware, so I said yes. I figured that would save a few steps from doing it myself.

BUT, here's the thing-- it DIDN'T update to the LATEST firmware! It says it updated to version ...376.2769. I even hit the CHECK button so it would check again afterwards, it still comes back saying it has the latest.

According to the website, that version is dated 9/22/14, and theirs been THREE more posted since then, with the latest just released last week. None of them say their beta, so does anyone have any idea why it would want to insist it has the latest, when it doesn't? I could dismiss it if maybe it just missed the very latest, but miss THREE?

Then my last question-- unless they're would be a good reason for it not finding the other ones, I should be OK updating it myself, right? I was going to just go ahead and do it, but though I'd better double check just in case there is a good reason it's bypassing them. I'd hate to screw up a flawless setup at the very end.

Thanks for the help...chugbug

Attachments

• RT-AC87U_firmware_update.jpg
    RT-AC87U_firmware_update.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 740
Simply because Asus never published those updates to the auto-update server, which is different from the Support website you are manually accessing.

Thanks RMerlin for the reply.

OH, OK! It didn't do them much good to add that little feature to the software if they weren't going to keep it updated or in sync with the other list! What's worse, then actually telling you they just gave you the most recent version (I didn't assume it was, they told me it was-- see the snapshot attached).

Guess I can't rely on that anymore. May as well ignore it. Nice feature, need more of those.

That little issue aside though, the routers great! A lot more RANGE than the old one! My old router (RT-N56U) wouldn't reach to the other end of the house in the basement level. This one didn't even drop a bar (on 2.4G or 5G)!

But I think I'll update to the latest firmware FOR REAL before I go any further. LOL

Cordially...chugbug

Attachments

• firmware-current-version-notice.jpg
    firmware-current-version-notice.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 644
How about the signature version update? Mine is still 1.010 while previously before the reset, i had 1.030.

The inconsistency of getting the trend micro signature version update kinda makes AiProtection useless..

How about the signature version update? Mine is still 1.010 while previously before the reset, i had 1.030.
Good question! Is this number really linked to Aiprotection? Without a timely update the protection provided by the filters will become quickly obsolete and ineffective. In may case it seems to never change... :confused:

Good question! Is this number really linked to Aiprotection? Without a timely update the protection provided by the filters will become quickly obsolete and ineffective. In may case it seems to never change... :confused:

you might want to try a reboot, sometimes it works.

i rebooted mine daily, but there's still no change..

Rebooted but always the same ... i.e. 1.028

EDIT: Tested on 0day malware sites, Aiprotection kicks-in and block everything. Therefore either the number above has nothing to do with Aiprotection or there is just a GUI bug and the number does not update properly.

Last edited:
Rebooted but always the same ... i.e. 1.028

EDIT: Tested on 0day malware sites, Aiprotection kicks-in and block everything. Therefore either the number above has nothing to do with Aiprotection or there is just a GUI bug and the number does not update properly.

I suspect that the website blocklist is done through an online check from TrendMicro's server, the same way that Microsoft SmartScreen or Firefox/Google's own malware site blocking works.

The router signatures are probably more for the malware detection on your LAN, or for the traffic classification rules, not for the website blocking.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!