What's new

wifi lan addresses starting with 10.10

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

trauts14

Occasional Visitor
recently while on an open wifi network at a hotel i noticed all the LAN addresses started with 10.10 as opposed to 192.168...

what system or manufacturer uses this IP pool?

Generally speaking, I've seen commercial routers like those used in hotels use the 10.10 subnet and home routers use the 192.168 subnet.

This may not be true for every single router out there, but I've seen this quite a few times.

In fact, when I see a 192.168 address used in a hotel I suspect they're using a home router (naughty, naughty!) and sometimes I go to the home page of the router to find that yes, they are using a home router. I've found a few where that page has been locked out but thankfully I haven't found any where they're using the default login and password! :eek:

I wouldn't have done anything, of course, ;) but I just wanted to see how far they went to secure things.

Needless to say it doesn't inspire confidence when I see I'm assigned a 192.168 address in a hotel. Don't assume your connection is secure - turn off file sharing!

recently while on an open wifi network at a hotel i noticed all the LAN addresses started with 10.10 as opposed to 192.168...

what system or manufacturer uses this IP pool?
both 10. and 192.168. are designated as non-public IP address blocks. Meaning, essentially, these shall not appear on a wide area routed network like the Internet.

Enterprise users tend to use 10. and consumer devices tend to use 192.168.

there are other non-public IP blocks too- like 169.

My netgear 6250 uses the 10.0.0 address from the factory .

I've had a Netgear home router that had a default of 10.10.x.x range by default instead of the documented 192.168.x.x one.

Newer netgear and linksys routers have a daemon that will automatically change the default IP address from 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 to 10.x.x.x. or 172.x.x.x if it detects an IP address conflict.

They implemented that to prevent double natting on the same subnet.

For years, router vendors such as linksys lost millions because of returns. Most DSL modem/routers have a default IP address of 192.168.1.1. And now even cable ISPs are providing a combo modem/router.

In the past, the average consumer plugged the Ethernet cable coming from their DSL modem right in to the new linksys router Internet port and immediately double natted on the same subnet. It worked fine for 15 minutes so the average consumer figured they must have set it up right. Then the IP address conflicts and disconnects would begin. A power cycle would fix it for another 15 minutes. After about a week of that, they returned it to the store and bought a competing router.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!