What's new

Will this crazy idea work?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nospamever

Regular Contributor
Ok this is hard for me to explain but I will try. My network is not setup like below but I wonder if it will work. Interested to know if Device 1 can access the webgui of the Linksys router? No particular reason for this other than experimenting. Think this double-natting?

1667129771690.png

Yes, it can be done. In fact it's quite a common setup which years ago was sometimes suggested when people wanted to create two isolated networks. It's not used much nowadays as people try to avoid double NAT and the need for three routers.

Yes, it can be done. In fact it's quite a common setup which years ago was sometimes suggested when people wanted to create two isolated networks. It's not used much nowadays as people try to avoid double NAT and the need for three routers.
Wow thanks, never thought it is common. Any pointers how I can access Linksys webgui from device 1? Maybe just give me key words I can use to search.

I don't know anything about the Linksys. Look for an option to access the webgui from "the WAN". Then you'd just access it using 192.168.2.3.

Any pointers how I can access Linksys webgui from device 1?

You can make it easier with the 2x routers you already have running. Everything "less secure" on your network connect to the ISP router, wired or wireless. ISP router's Wi-Fi can serve as your Guest Network or IoT/VoIP connection. Everything "more secure" connect to your Asus router. The devices on Asus router network will have access to the devices on Technicolor network, but not the other way around. Just make sure the 2x routers use different Wi-Fi channels. Technicolor Ch1 for 2.4GHz and Ch36 for 5GHz and Asus Ch11 on 2.4GHz and Ch149 on 5GHz, as an example.

You can make it easier with the 2x routers you already have running. Everything "less secure" on your network connect to the ISP router, wired or wireless. ISP router's Wi-Fi can serve as your Guest Network or IoT/VoIP connection. Everything "more secure" connect to your Asus router. The devices on Asus router network will have access to the devices on Technicolor network, but not the other way around. Just make sure the 2x routers use different Wi-Fi channels. Technicolor Ch1 for 2.4GHz and Ch36 for 5GHz and Asus Ch11 on 2.4GHz and Ch149 on 5GHz, as an example.
I think what you suggested is ultimately what I want to achieve. The only difference is I only want to keep the Technicolor as a modem and wired (disable wireless) DHCP server to Asus and Linksys. Asus is more secure network (10.8.8.x) and Linksys for less secure (10.0.1x). Ultimately how to set devices under Asus network to be able to access devices under Linksys network?

Ok I read up on static route and looks like that is what I need. So I have to manually enter static route on Asus router to be able to access a device on Linksys network. Is that correct?
I do not need any devices under Linksys to access any devices under Asus so I do not need to enter static route in Linksys router. Is that correct?

Ok I read up on static route and looks like that is what I need. So I have to manually enter static route on Asus router to be able to access a device on Linksys network. Is that correct?
I do not need any devices under Linksys to access any devices under Asus so I do not need to enter static route in Linksys router. Is that correct?

If they're communicating via the WAN ports you should not need static routes since they are in the same subnet. You cannot access from 10.8.8.x to 10.0.1.x (or vice-versa) in this setup, you will need to map ports to the WAN IP and access the WAN IP on the respective port.

Much like your ISP router, your linksys and Asus have no idea what is behind that WAN IP and no knowledge of that other subnet.

Ultimately how to set devices under Asus network to be able to access devices under Linksys network?

Just turn this Linksys router into an Access Point to the ISP router and you’re done. You’ll have access to connected to it and to ISP ports devices as well as to both ISP router and Linksys Web GUI.

Just turn this Linksys router into an Access Point to the ISP router and you’re done. You’ll have access to connected to it and to ISP ports devices as well as to both ISP router and Linksys Web GUI.
I thought of that but I wanted to use Linksys as a router, not an AP. Much of router functions will not be available as an AP.

What firmware is this EA6700 running? Stock Linksys firmware is years old and has no features to die for.

What firmware is this EA6700 running? Stock Linksys firmware is years old and has no features to die for.
I think there was one update since new and nothing since then. Yes it is an old router but seems to work ok. I have a TP-Link AC2300 to fall back if I have to.

I think there was one update since new and nothing since then. Yes it is an old router but seems to work ok. I have a TP-Link AC2300 to fall back if I have to.

What routing functions do you need? If you just want to isolate guests from your main network (which is behind the asus) then running it as an AP as Tech9 suggests is probably the easiest route, especially if you want to be able to access it from your trusted LAN.

What routing functions do you need? If you just want to isolate guests from your main network (which is behind the asus) then running it as an AP as Tech9 suggests is probably the easiest route, especially if you want to be able to access it from your trusted LAN.
You read my mind. I am putting my guests behind Linksys and only trusted wired/wireless devices behind Asus. Putting Linksys in bridge mode means getting IP from Technicolor. I mainly just want to access Linksys webgui from my main laptop behind Asus. I don't need to access guests behind Linksys. That works right?

I am putting my guests behind Linksys and only trusted wired/wireless devices behind Asus.

If you run 2x routers with separate networks (both connected to your ISP router) and you need this 2nd "less secure" network for IoT devices as well, there will be no direct access to them from your 1st "trusted" network. Access only from Internet (WAN). You have to decide what's more convenient for you.

If you run 2x routers with separate networks (both connected to your ISP router) and you need this 2nd "less secure" network for IoT devices as well, there will be no direct access to them from your 1st "trusted" network. Access only from Internet (WAN). You have to decide what's more convenient for you.
Ok thanks, I need to be able to at least access Linksys webgui from behind Asus. So this AP scenario won't work for me.

AP scenario will work to Linksys GUI. Router scenario won't work from LAN, only from WAN with access from WAN open on Linksys. Not recommended.*

- actually, this Linksys is behind ISP router firewall. It's WAN is on your ISP router network.

Last edited:
AP scenario will work to Linksys GUI. Router scenario won't work from LAN, only from WAN with access from WAN open on Linksys. Not recommended.*

- actually, this Linksys is behind ISP router firewall. It's WAN is on your ISP router network.
Thanks for your patience, I will test it tonight and see if I can access Linksys webgui. Really appreciate your time.

No problem. It's good to have a second backup network when your main network is driven by AC86U. :D