What's new

Wireless Internet, no LAN config

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cyber Vlad

New Around Here
Hello,

I'm a newbie in networks and I have to configure a small network at work that needs to go as follows:
-cable connection can have access to network resources
-wireless connection must not have access to network resources

Can anyone give me some advice in how to make this happen low budget?

Thanks in advance!

what do you mean by "network resources" ?

Assuming you mean access to other devices on network, then one simple solution is to double nat with the wireless router WAN port connected to the Internet providers modem connection and the second router with all the wired connections and network resources connected from its WAN port to a LAN port of the wireless router. Set up the wireless router DHCP to give out addresses in the 192.168.1.x subnet and the wired router DHCP to give out addresses in the 192.168.2.x subnet. Neither should be able to see the other.

If you want to only use one router with wireless, you will need to use VLANs for the two sets of users. Setting up a "guest" wireless (a built in VLAN on some wireless routers) may prevent access to the wired clients from wireless, but you will have to verify.

-wireless connection must not have access to network resources

so you want to isolate the wifi so it only has access to the internet and not the local area network

the easy way is run guest wifi on your router and select isolate wifi clients and only let wifi clients connect to the guest wifi

you vcan also do it by running the wifi on a separate vlan but thats a bit above my pay scale but some googling will help you there

Thank you both so much, I will try all the methods depending on the router capabilities!

Sorry for my english, not a native english speaker, by network resources I meant other PC's shared file on the network, printers, etc.

I'll come back with feedback today, thank you again, much appreciated!

Luckly I had a Ubiquiti AC Pro and managed to set the wireless connection to guest and blocked the ip class the network was in :D

Many thanks for your fast reply's, great people!