What's new

wireless repeater throughput ? w/ diagram

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kbricked

New Around Here
in the following diagram "wireless-bridge-diagram.png"; do the computers attached to the wireless bridge via Ethernet have bandwidth reduced to half of the other wireless clients?

Attachments

• wireless-bridge-diagram.png
    wireless-bridge-diagram.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 882
The machines attached to the bridge will have connectivity, but will be limited to the bandwidth of the wireless link (minus overhead). It's not really a repeater, but a bridge according to your diagram.

Much depends on the design of the bridge - some are better, some are not...

I would stay away from the Cisco-Linksys ethernet adapters (WET/WES-610 series) as I've seen actual issues with packet re-writing and TCP checksums - the Buffalo ethernet adapters, along with the TrendNet devices, seem to be fairly solid.

in the following diagram "wireless-bridge-diagram.png"; do the computers attached to the wireless bridge via Ethernet have bandwidth reduced to half of the other wireless clients?
No. Speed is limited only by WiFi performance. No repeaters are in this diagram.

I have several older routers that I have re purposed to do exactly this using DD-WRT firmware. Since you're not repeating performance will not be sacrificed. DD-WRT also allows you to use a repeater-bridge with the expected loss of wireless performance but with the ability to also accept wireless clients.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!