What's new

wlceventd entries filling my log file

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

meik

New Around Here
Hello! I am new to these forums, so apologies in advance if I am in the wrong place, or if this has been asked/answered (I tried to do a thorough search first).

I set up an ASUS RT-AX86U a few days ago and had been trying to figure out what all of the log entries mean (this site has been incredibly helpful) before I started connecting other devices.
I connected my computer, Android phone, and a couple of Echo devices, and watched the log files for about a day and a half.
After I connected another one of our phones, these entries began appearing constantly throughout the day:

wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(685): wl0.2: Auth XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(722): wl0.2: Assoc XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, status: Successful (0), rssi:-68
wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(645): wl0.2: Deauth_ind XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0
wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(662): wl0.2: Disassoc XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0
wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(685): wl0.2: Auth XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(722): wl0.2: Assoc XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, status: Successful (0), rssi:-69
wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(645): wl0.2: Deauth_ind XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, status: 0, reason: 4-way handshake timeout (f), rssi:-70
wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(645): wl0.2: Deauth_ind XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, status: 0, reason: Disassociated due to inactivity (4), rssi:-70
wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(645): wl0.2: Deauth_ind XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, status: 0, reason: Disassociated due to inactivity (4), rssi:-70

They cycle every minute or minute and a half or so, or 4 or five minutes, with no consistency, no regular intervals, and no consistent pattern. Sometimes, after the Auth/Assoc, the next entries are the handshake timeout, or sometimes deauth for inactivity, or sometimes that the station has left.

The phone is an iPhone 11.
I shut off the Private address feature for this connection. No change in the log (other than the MAC that the phone uses to identify itself).
If I put the phone in airplane mode, the entries stop. However, sometimes when the phone is picked up, or the screen is activated, the entries appeared briefly or for some period of time.
The entries stop entirely when the phone is out of radio range.
The event location in these entries is for a guest network to which the Echo devices are connected. I never connected the phone to that network and have never connected the phone to the Echo devices (their internal network or bluetooth). Also, the phone is on the 5g band, and the guest network is on the 2.4g band.
I have since connected two more iPhones (a 14 and SE) to the router (using the 2.4g band, but not the guest network for which these entries have been appearing), but they have not caused any changes in these log entries or created any problems of their own.
This a home network, and I am currently the only one who knows any of the security credentials.
There are no other routers or wireless networking devices on the premises or nearby (I live in the sticks).
This has been going on for three days now.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Michael

The phone is an iPhone 11.

That's normal... it's WMM and 802.11e power save mode.

I wouldn't worry too much about it - the iPhone is trying to conserve battery - one thing you can try is to set the DTIM values over to 4, as this can help things...

Thanks for the reply!

Would I set that for both bands, since the iPhone is connected to the eth7 interface (5G) and the issue is with a MAC on the wl02 interface (2.4G)? Why would the iPhone be using that other MAC and try connecting to a different interface?

On the face of it devices on your 2nd 2.4GHz guest network are disconnecting and reconnecting because they are either going to sleep or their signal strength is too weak.

Does the MAC address that you've unhelpfully redacted correspond to your Echo devices?

Do you have Bluetooth enabled on your iPhone? It's possible that is causing just enough interference on 2.4GHz to tip the Echo's weak signal into disconnecting.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!