What's new

WNHDB3004 Advice Requested

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

robgold

Occasional Visitor
I am considering purchasing the Netgear 3DHD WNHDB3004 for use with my home theater setup, which has several devices that need a reliable internet connection (PS3, Apple TV, Mac Mini). However, I have read that when connecting one of the units to my existing router, and then connecting the receiving unit to the home theater devices, the WNHDB3004 creates a new SSID that is different from my existing network. If that is the case, does that mean that the devices connected to the WNHDB3004 will be unable to access my NAS, which is connected to my current network? How about accessing shared files on other PC's that are connected to my existing network? Thanks in advance for any advice.

A quick glance by me... that thing is over $200! What you describe needs a common WiFi client bridge. Not a marketing home theater bridge.

There are lots of WiFi bridges on the market, 11g or 11n.
You'll need an ideal signal strength versus distance and walls/floors to get good streaming of non-HD from your NAS or the Internet. Streaming HD 720/1080 is usually not viable via WiFi.

Better to use, instead of WiFi, either HomePlug AV or MoCA (see the forum topic on that here). This avoids the wireless interference and speed issues.

A quick glance by me... that thing is over $200! What you describe needs a common WiFi client bridge. Not a marketing home theater bridge.

There are lots of WiFi bridges on the market, 11g or 11n.
You'll need an ideal signal strength versus distance and walls/floors to get good streaming of non-HD from your NAS or the Internet. Streaming HD 720/1080 is usually not viable via WiFi.

Better to use, instead of WiFi, either HomePlug AV or MoCA (see the forum topic on that here). This avoids the wireless interference and speed issues.

Thanks for the advice. I was actually also looking at the 4-port Netgear AV500 HomePlug unit (XAVB5004) which looks pretty good. My only question there is that the ports on the back assign different speeds for the connections (1 high, 1 medium, 2 low). I don't want to sacrifice speed on any of my devices. Do you know how that would work with my set up? (I guess I should post in the Powerline forum).

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!