What's new

Worth upgrading AR5B93?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bdresch

New Around Here
Here is my story. I am in the process of wiring my house with Cat 5e so decided I would be moving my router to a central location in my basement. I currently have an older G router, which is still working fine, but it is only 10/100 and I want gigabit. I can currently see about 12 other wireless networks on the 2.4ghz band, so bought a WNDR3700 so my N could be on 5ghz. My laptop currently has a half height PCIe Atheros AR5B93, which I had thought supported 5ghz. Now my dilema is, do I return the WNDR3700 and just get a WNR3500L since I can't use the 5ghz with my current laptop anyways, or do I upgrade my laptop card?

My concern is with the WNDR3700 I am getting about 80+% signal where I usually use the laptop. I'm assuming looking at the wireless charts that will get worse with the WNR3500L. Would it likely be worse enough to notice a difference? If I keep the WNDR3700 and upgrade my laptops wireless card would I be likely to get signal on the 5ghz band given I am getting about 80% now with my Atheros card on the 2.4ghz band? What available internal cards would be a descent upgrade over my Atheros card? If I get a 3 stream card would it be worth it to add a 3rd antenna to my laptop eventhough the WNDR3700 is only 2 stream? I know its a lot of questions, but any help would be appreciated.

There really is no way to say what you will get for throughput. There are too many variables involved.

I can say that you will get reduced range using 5 GHz vs. 2.4 GHz. But if you are operating in a medium-strength signal area with 2.4 GHz, then 5 GHz will probably work. But the only way to know is to try it.

I would recommend the Intel 5300 / 6300. But don't bother kludging a third antenna into your laptop. You need a three-stream router to take advantage of the third antenna and I have not been impressed by the two available three stream N routers so far.
New To The Wireless Charts: TRENDnet TEW-691GR 450Mbps Wireless N Gigabit Router

New To The Wireless Charts: D-Link DIR-665 Xtreme N 450 Gigabit Router

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!